Chapter 14: The Airplane Boy

After Betsi skipped away in that happy and delusional way of hers, I decided to stay at the willow tree and watch the clouds while wallowing in a puddle of self-pity. Two weeks ago I was happy, I had a great relationship, and I was still a cheerleader. Now I have Carson's psychotic ex who's out to get me because apparently I'm a man-stealer, two guys who gives me nothing but headaches, and a blog about exactly how bitchy I am. How the hell did everything get so messed up?

I was watching a cloud when a paper airplane landed beside my head. I picked up the airplane and looked around, trying to locate its navigator. I saw a boy looking at me with an apologetic but shy smile. His dark black hair blowing in the air and his gaze avoiding mine when I walked towards him. Where have I seen him before? 

"Is this your airplane?" 

He stole a glance at me, then looked away quickly. "Yes," I waited for him to reach out and take it from me, but he offered me silence instead of a hand. 

"Here.," I said, offering him the airplane. He took the airplane, but still managing to avoid touching my fingers. 

"Thanks," He almost whispered. I started walking away when suddenly he said, "Um, are you okay?" I'll admit I was surprised that he said more than one word in a sentence, but I don't think I can handle explaining everything to someone without breaking down first. 

I turned around, choosing my words very carefully. "I could be better, but thanks for asking," I responded, straining to sound genuine. 

"If it helps, I think Diane may have a huge zit on her forehead." 

I gave a small laugh, appreciating his effort.

"You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine."  He told me with a cute little smile. But he still wouldn't look at me in the eyes. I realized that I still don't know his name yet.

"Hey, thanks for cheering me up, I'm Scarlett." I offered my hand and he took it ever so gently. 

He kind of smiled at me and our eyes made contact for a brief second as I noticed the sparkling blue of his eyes, before he muttered a quick, "Um, I have to go." And swiftly hurried away with his books, leaving me still unsure of what his name was. 

~~~

By the time I got back inside the lunch period was ending in 3 minutes. Crap. I had completely lost track of time outside. I had wanted to check on Carson before class started but judging by the time it'd take me to find him and the time I need to get to my next class it seems like it's better to shoot him a text. The bell shook me out of my thoughts as I sprinted towards the biology lab, making a mental note to text Carson during break. 

I arrived just on time and rushed in just as Mr. Whitmoore started taking attendance. Thank god.  I took my usual seat and waited for Susan, the sweet girl who sat beside me to arrive. She was always late. She bolted into the classroom a minute after and mumbled a quick sorry to Mr. Whitmoore, who didn't look pleased. 

"Susan, you're late," He said, not bothering to even look up from his desk, "Again, I might add."

Susan rushed to get her book and pencil case out and apologized, "I'm really sorry, Mr. Whitmoore." 

He still looked displeased. "Just be glad I'm in a good mood today." Wow, if he was in a good mood right now I'd hate to see him in his bad mood. "You see class, today when I was at the breakfast table with my four year old son, Jack, I asked him what would he die for, and he said his teddy bear, Sir Newton Fluffy-pants the third. So that gave me an idea of a new project, which we will be doing for the next 4 weeks." He paused for a moment, letting the information sink in and giving us that dramatic effect. "You and your partner will take whatever it is that your willing to die for, and let's keep in mind that it has to be an object, and find out why it is so important to them. Then you will both write a perspective essay about why one might die for it. This project will be worth 40% of your final grade, so do it well."