Chapter 26: The Big Suprise

***Cole’s P.O.V.***

“C’mon Scar, pick up…” I muttered into my phone as my call went to voice mail for the fifth time. I clicked the end button on my phone. What reason could Scar possible have for ignoring me? Wasn’t she the one who said she still liked me? I frowned, something to that effect. Besides, she had a tendency of kissing me back, every time she has the chance to push me away, even to slap me but nothing. I have no idea why she kicked me out a few days ago. One last time, I thought to myself, dialing Scar’s number again. Surprisingly, Scar picked up on the first ring.

“What’s up Cole?!” she asked, her tone held vague anger. I had no idea why.

“Hello to you to,” I answered.

“Look Cole, I’m kind of busy, I just picked up because I want you to quit calling, this is like the fifth time,”

“You’ve been dodging my calls!”

“Oh I wonder why,” she muttered sarcastically and I could practically hear her rolling her eyes.

“Why? Please Scar, enlighten me,”

“Why do you think Cole?” Scar asked, her voice was softer now, her anger dying.

“I really don’t know Scarlet,” on the other end she sighed.

“Cole, I really don’t know what twisted game you’re playing at. You cheated on me, so I broke up with you but you didn’t give up on me, you kept coming. I have to admit, as annoying as it was, it made me think you were sincere. You explained what happened. I wanted to forgive you, I swear, I did. I wanted us to be together again, I did. But… I don’t know what happened… We went on that date, it made me hurt so much because you acted so god damned perfect. We kissed, I still don’t know what I should think of that. Then you started this thing. You told the whole school we were back together but we aren’t! And then you come over to my house like it’s normal? We aren’t together anymore Cole! I don’t think you love me anymore, I’m not sure you ever did,” She sounds like she’s on the brink of tears. It hurts. Her insinuating that I never cared about her, I did, I’ve cared about her for a long time, I still do, I don’t think I’ll ever stop caring about her. But what if that’s all it is? Just caring?

“Scar, that isn’t fair! I want us to be together, I never cheated on you, there’s no reason for you not to trust me!”

“Cole, in some ways I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving you, but I don’t think we can be together,”

“Why?”

“Do you know how many sleepless nights I’ve had over you?” she asked me. “How many times I’ve cried, sobbed even? All because of you. I’m not sure I can ever get rid of that feeling again, ever be with you because I’m terrified you’ll just break my heart all over again,”

“Scar,” I said, I didn’t realize how much pain I’d caused her. What was she thinking when she kissed me? What thoughts were going through her head? What was she thinking now? On the other end I heard her talk to someone.

“I’m fine, I just, I just have to get this over with, okay?” she said to the other person.

“Who are you with Scar?”

“Carson,”

“What? Why?!” I demanded.

“Because we’re kind of sort of maybe dating now,” I took that to mean he asked her out and she said yes.

“Scar-!” I started but she cut me off.

“Cole, you don’t know how much this hurts but, leave me alone. Don’t call me, text me, talk to me, I think that maybe it’s best if we just stop interacting for a while, let old wounds heal,” I didn’t have any old wounds from her. She was the only one with the old wounds. Now I just had one new one, because the minute she stopped talking the line went dead. She hung up on me. She wanted us to forget about each other and move on.