LITTLE WHITE LIES

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌  

L I T T L E   W H I T E   L I E S 

''I don't like him dude, I've known him for just two full days

''I don't like him dude, I've known him for just two full days.'' 

''Love has no perception of time.''  

  ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌    

When we are young everything is felt so keenly, and intensely.

Love is deep, hate is strong, anxiety can cripple, and yet happiness is overlooked unless it is the kind of giddy fun that bonds you to your friends but sadness overwhelms, numbing all other feelings that are too weak to fight it.

A heat wave took care of her whole body as it ascended from the floor up to her hair ends. All she was, was sadness, every other emotion pushed from her being, where there was love, light and the laughter she shared with her friend not even a minute ago, that was now a ghost in time. 

All turned into an aching hollowness as not even 10 meters away from the girls, Peter stood kissing Gen against his locker. Rita's jaw dropped to the floor.

''Oh Rita'' Lara Jean said softly, grabbing at the straps of her backpack. ''Please, don't tell me you like Kavinsky. I hoped maybe I was seeing things.''

''I don't'' Rita lied, her bottom lip quivering giving her lie away. 

 Rita knew Lara Jean had a lot of questions as she hadn't talked about any of it to her friend afraid of jinxing it, well it had been successful; 

But Lara Jean didn't ask, she just held Rita's arm, pushing her away from the corridor and just a few words were exchanged until they were at the safety that was created by the shadow of the bleachers as they sat under them.

''I don't like him'' Rita's voice was low, so low it nearly broke her friends heart, who was attentively looking at her, worry filling her eyes. ''I don't okay?''

Lara Jean had skipped math for Rita, brought her to her favorite place and bought her a chocolate at the bar on the way. Lara Jean was the friend that showed Rita what friendship really was about each day that went by. 

''It's just he fucking told me he was single, and it sucks he lied.'' The initial sadness seemed to fade away as she remembered asking him not even 10 hours ago how could he be single and him laughing saying he just was and anger followed, boiling deep in her system. ''And it had to be GEN?''

''There you go'' Lara Jean even chuckled at Rita's sudden outburst, handing her the plastic water bottle she took out her backpack.

Rita massaged her temples, her mind seeming to be running a marathon, at the speed her thoughts were coming and going It had to be.