RESCUE

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌    

R E S C U E 

''I literally have never seen someone so solid in my entire life

''I literally have never seen someone so solid in my entire life.''

''You don't have to say that to make me feel better-''

  ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌    

''She's not.'' Peter suddenly spoke. He stood there, leaned against the window's frame for god knows how long. ''I told you all this when we broke up Genevieve what are you torturing Rita for?'' Rita looked at Gen with furrowed eyebrows.

''I just wanted to hear it from her.'' She grinned with malice. Rita widened her eyes. Gen was an extremely good actress - the velocity at which she dropped the victim's act was scary to say the least. Rita felt extremely regretful she had even related to Gen at one point during their conversation - once upon a time she too wanted to be Peter's first choice. She felt used, it was destroying. 

''What?'' Rita looked form Gen to Peter and back to Gen. ''Why?''

Gen's laugh cut trough her ears like fine glass pieces. ''Because Rita, everyone seems to think you're the best but you were not it for Peter. I'll forever win with that one.'' At that exact moment Rita's first thought was to tell Gen everything Peter said at her birthday party:

''I left her for you Rita. Wasn't that what you wanted me to do?'' He asked, completely wrecked. She could see the tears in his eyes, he too was drunk out of his mind.

''You know what I want?'' She laughed. ''I want to be with someone who's heart doesn't belong partly to someone else, for once I want to be someone's first choice.''

''You don't get it. You were it from the start. I was scared, I didn't know what to do with all these feelings Rita.'' He said desperately. '' I knew you could make me so happy that I was terrified once I'd give in, once I was happy it'd be taken away from me.''

It was a petty thought, she wanted to cause Gen as much hurting as she was causing her and that wasn't right. Peter was drunk out of his senses, he was at his worst, he was lonely and he was lost. His words had barely any truth to them and were simply motivated by his confusion and recent break up and Rita knew that so she kept quite, plus she wasn't going to remind Peter of that. 

''You're wrong Gen.'' Peter's words felt like the first breath you take when you resurface in the water. Pure relief. ''She was and she still is the best.'' Rita closed her eyes. ''The fact I was dumb enough to chose you over her doesn't mean the contrary, it simply means I was loyal to you, to us, even tough my heart called out for someone else.'' The curly haired girl smiled to her feet. Peter was there with all his power and confidence to intercede for her and the part of her that always felt destroyed and hurt by the fact he had chosen Gen was vanishing at every word spoken. Now she knew the real reason of his actions and it wasn't because she wasn't good enough. It was because Peter, being Peter, really would never do people like that. ''Don't you  think I wouldn't have chosen Rita in a heartbeat if I knew sooner what you were doing behind my back. I kept from being true to myself to be loyal to you and I didn't get the same back, you win nothing but shame.''Peter was looking at Gen with an intensity it was almost scary.