Leaving

The first thing Vernon saw when he entered Joshua's room was that Joshua was...packing?

"Whoa, where are you going?" Vernon said as he shut the door behind him.

"I'm leaving Vernon, I don't belong here"

Thank you for not killing me.

"But, you do. You're the most skilled and clever out of everyone in the group! We need you here"

"What the fuck am I supposed to do for six months? If I'm really that important to the group then Seongcheol wouldn't have banned me for half a year. I'm not needed"

Joshua zipped his bag up and began making his way to the door. Vernon grabbed his arms and pushed him backwards, making Joshua face him.

"Vernon. Let me go"

"No, you're not leaving"

"I don't even know why you care. You're the only one in this group who seems to care about what I do and how I do act. Why is that?"

Vernon stayed silent, Joshua continued to stare at him until an answer could be dragged out.

Once the silence was too long, Joshua gave up, and sighed.

"I should be going, Vernon. Please let me go"

Vernon finally let go of Joshua, feeling his arm brush past his. Joshua reached for the door handle but then stopped, and he thought.

He dropped his bag next to the door and walked towards Vernon again, facing him. Without another word, he kissed him.

Vernon's eyes widened. The kiss didn't last very long, only a few seconds.

"You will not tell anyone about this" Joshua said. "Goodbye"

And with that, he was gone.
—————————
"Well, I've got news everyone" Seongcheol cleared his throat, grabbing attention from every member in the room. Vernon was the only one who didn't look up, he couldn't even touch his food.

He felt...depressed?

"So, Joshua has decided to leave us. I don't know where he's gone or when he left. But...he's gone" the leader sighed.

Gasps and whispers could be heard amongst the group. It was clearly a shock to everyone.

"And as for the ban, I'll be decreasing it again. Those who have been punished will return to missions by next week!"

Seongcheol expected to hear cheers from the group, but all he heard was mumbles. He brushed it off and made his way to the kitchen to eat.
Everyone seemed upset with Joshua's disappearance.

"Is that why you're so down today, Vernon?" DK whispered to Vernon. Vernon shook his head, he wanted to avoid the topic as much as possible. "I just haven't had much sleep".

DK nodded, "me neither. Going out last night was a bad idea...but it was so fun, wasn't it?"

Vernon smiled to himself, "yeah, it was"

It reminded him that he could visit Daehyun and Youngjae whenever he wanted, if they are available that is. He made some friends he could visit outside the base, which felt wonderful.

"Joshua's left, how crazy is that?!" Jeonghan whispered loudly, DK had to shush him down so no more attention could be drawn in. "Sorry" he mouthed.

"Can we talk about something besides that?" Vernon whispered back. Jeonghan had worry written all over his face, but he nodded nonetheless. He could tell Vernon was upset, even if DK didn't believe it.

DK excused himself to the bathroom, leaving Jeonghan and Vernon alone.

"I know you're upset Vernon, I can see it in your face"

Vernon didn't say anything. He pushed his food away from him and held his head in his hands. He then felt Jeonghan's hand rubbing his back reassuringly.

"He'll come back, I'm sure of it"