The Newcomer

I've been training in this kind of business since I was 13, since somehow someone saw my potential.

I lost my parents in a house fire, and all the hatred and anger I had towards the person who set our house alight changed me into the person I am today.

A secret agency took my under their wing after witnessing me stealing some bread for myself and then successfully escaping. I don't know how that made them choose me, maybe it was because I was so young?

Maybe it was because they knew they could raise me into the man I am today. A spy...
Because I was an easy target.

Of course I accepted their offer once they offered me free food and shelter.

The practical part, made me think I'd rather starve and sleep in the rain again.

Of course I don't regret it though, seven years of training was definitely worth it.

Oh? I guess I never introduced myself...

My name is Vernon, I'm twenty years old and I'm what you would identify as a spy.

You could say I live in the shadows...I was home schooled and I don't really have any friends. Or a social life at all in that matter.

But from what I've now heard, all that's about to change, I'm going to be sent off to join a group of spies. Just like me actually.

I've never really put into thought of why I have to join these people, I'm pretty good working by myself...

They told me I'm better off in a team, to get the job done quicker.

I'll do whatever they ask me then...that's what I've been doing most of my life. I can't complain...

——————————
"We'll be meeting the newcomer today Coups!" Jeonghan said excitedly. The leader looked up at him from his seat, he noticed the folder his friend held in his hands and took it calmly.

He skimmed through the personal information written before reading it aloud for the rest of the group to hear.

"Hansol Chwe, but is also known as Vernon...

...20 years old...oh!

He was born in America, just like you Joshua!"

Joshua, who was sitting quietly in the corner of the room, rolled his eyes and continued to sharpen his blades. Same reaction as usual then.

The rest of the members nodded their heads as their leader read out Vernon's information.

They seemed to be acceptable to this newcomer.

"Well then, let's welcome him in"

—————————
"So...how many people are in this team...besides myself?" Vernon questioned while he packed the last of his needed equipment.

"Twelve, you'll be the thirteenth member"

"Oh, fantastic" he sighed. Quite a large team isn't it?

Three hours later...

"We're here, you'll be lead directly to the hidden entrance" the driver spoke softly. "Take care of yourself, alright?"
Vernon nodded and made his way outside, along with his luggage.

It was massive nightclub, which puzzled Vernon. But once he thought about it, the group probably hide underground...or a few floors up.

And he was right.

The guard beside him lead him down a flight of stairs hidden next to the building, it was very well hidden as well. No one could accidentally come across it.

There were several bushes, and behind those bushes several crates were covering a large trapdoor. That's were the stairs were.

At the bottom of the stairs, there was a keypad, and a little speaker. So a code and voice verification was obviously needed. The guard typed in the numbers "1715" into the keypad and Vernon was the one who had to speak.

"Voice verification please" spoke a voice, and it wasn't a computer generated one either.

It sounded like a man that was bored of this job of being a speaker.

"Hi...my name is Vernon?"

The guard snorted at the reply.

"Vernon, huh? The new guy?"

"I guess you could say that"

"Well, new guy, the password you need to say is 'Carat'"

"Carrots?"

"No, Carat. C-A-R-A-T"

"Got it. Can I come in, mysterious voice?"

"What's the password?"

"Carat"

"Perfect. Come on in!"

Vernon gave the guard a questioning look, in which in response he received a shrug. The guard left him there while layers of door opened in front of him.

Once the final door opened, Vernon hesitated before slowly walking through the corridor.

"Hurry up! We haven't got all day!" the voice through the speaker spoke again, making Vernon flinch.

"Sorry!"

Vernon quickened his pace through the corridor before finally meeting another door, which had another speaker. But this time is also had a camera.

"Don't tell me you thought it was that easy to get in" the voice chuckled.

"Of course not" Vernon scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Don't you roll your eyes at me, I have one more request for you...Vernon"

"And that is?"

"Aegyo!"

Vernon's eyes widened.

"Jeonghan!" another voice erupted through the speaker, "leave the poor kid alone"

A whine followed behind, "but it's fun!"

"Jeonghan, I said no"

The voice sighed, "Fine, you can come in"

The door finally opened, revealing a large room, filled with a lot of people.