Hopeless Romantic

CW: homophobia, implications of suicidal ideation

Shiro: star athlete, killer student, dad friend
Keith: stubborn, smart, witty
Pidge: intelligent, small, clever
Hunk: sweet, friendly, anxious
Matt: quick thinking, impulsive, flirty
Allura: gorgeous, strong, confident
Romelle: shy, kind, estranged
Bandor: outgoing, kind of dumb, cute

And then there's me.
Lance McClain. Jokester. Fail. The usual. Gay. Cross dresser. Fag. I've heard it all.
My group of friends, as seen above, was the closest I felt to normal. We were a good team, tackling homework and study sessions and impossible professors.
Thing was, I had a crush on Pidge. Pidge, the youngest of the group. They're only 19, so we're two years apart. They were sweet and beautiful.
I'm sure everyone knew about my honking crush. Would Matt kill me if he knew? Probably. I knew, theoretically, I had a chance with Pidge. They were pansexual, like me. So, in theory, we could date. But they certainly weren't interested. They thought I was a goofball, I couldn't take anything seriously. But I could! My joking was facade to hide most of my feelings. Anyway.
It was late at night. We'd had a sleepover, all of us, and they'd probably all fallen asleep. We'd crashed in Shiro and Keith's shared room, since they were both alumni and upperclassmen, they had a bigger room. Which was classist in my opinion.
I sighed and sat up. I needed to get some water. (Thorsty boi) I stood up.
"Where are you going?" A voice said.
"Wh- oh, I didn't know if you were still up. I was just getting water," I said to Pidge.
"Are you sure?" They sat up, rubbing their eyes.
"Why would I not be?"
"Lance, I've seen you roll up your sleeves. I'm not stupid."
"No! I'm thirsty! Actually!" When they didn't say anything, I went to the mini kitchen and poured a glass of water. "My point." I raised it to Pidge.
"You wanna go sit in the hall until 4 am?" They asked.
"Do I?" I laughed as they rolled their eyes and stood up. We walked into the hall together. We sat next to the door, shoulder to shoulder. "Did you want me to tell or did you want to ask? Or, preferably, do you want to avoid the whole conversation?"
"Well, I don't really want to know, since it'll make me sad, but I also need to know one thing."
"Are you gonna ask about that?"
"I- Lance- ugh- when was the last time you- you know?"
"Last week. Monday, I believe."
They took a sharp inhale in. "Do you think you could stop?"
I shrugged. "Probably. I'd need something stable, like to ground me, or something."
"Isn't our friend group grounding enough?"
"I wish it was. Everyone switches between liking me and not liking me, like being overly nice, and then making fun of me constantly."
"I'm sorry."
"No! Don't be, I mean. You're a relatively stable friend."
"But I'm so moody."
"Exactly! I can rely on you swinging from happy to angry to sad. I wouldn't expect anything else."
"That doesn't make sense."
"Neither does my brain."
"Fair enough."
"Pidge, I have to tell you something."
"Shoot."
"I-I-I kind of like you."
"You better. We've been friends for like six years."
"No, Pidge, that's not what I'm saying."
Their eyes went wide. "Oh."
"Yeah, though you should know."
"If it's worth anything, I like you too. Have for five years, oblivious idiot."
"I'm the oblivious idiot? You missed me telling you I had a crush on you! Also, if it's worth anything? Do you think I would tell you, or maintain a crush for several years, if I didn't have some hope you felt the same?"
"Good point." They laughed.
"So like, are we gonna be a, like, thing?"
"A boyfriend-whatever-the-hell-I-am-friend thing?"
"Took the words out of my mouth."
"You wish I did."
I blushed. "W-what's that supposed to mean?"
"It's a fucking innuendo, McClain."
"Very funny. So are we like an item?"
"Yes. Plance? Lidge? Both those sound like an STD."
I laughed. "Are you clean?" I sang.
"What do you mean?" They sang back and laughed.
"STI's?"
"I haven't got 'em."
I giggled and high fived them. "Lizard Boy!"
They'd introduced me to a small musical called Lizard Boy last year and that was one of the songs, 4th and Vine.
"So," they said.
"So," I echoed.
"How's everyone gonna react?"
"I'm sure they already knew. I'm bad at hiding crushes."
"So am I."
"And we're both really oblivious.?"
"Apparently."
The next morning, we tried to make pancakes for everyone. In Keith and Shiro's tiny kitchen, most of the cookware was used to eat cereal out of. I was pouring batter into the pan. Pidge used my shoulder as leverage so they could reach my face and kissed my cheek. I laughed, then grabbed their legs so they were wrapped around my face and we could see eye to eye. They were laughing the entire time.
"I'm ticklish!"
"I know." I grinned.
We stayed like that for a minute, my blue eyes meeting their brown ones, with my hands on their back, keeping them upright, and their hands on my neck. Then we both leaned in. We kissed for what felt like an eternity.
"Hey, I smell something burning. Do you need hel- Jesus Christ!" Hunk said. I abruptly let go of Pidge.
The pancake was burnt. Oh well.
"Don't tell anyone yet!" Pidge hissed.
"I won't, Jesus, just don't burn the dorm down!" Hunk resigned and retreated back to where everyone else was checking their phones.
"Maybe we finish that later in my apartment," I laughed. They flushed.
We finished the pancakes, and put them on the small coffee table that Shiro and Keith had.
"Pidge, Lance," Bandor teased.
"Hunk!" We both scolded.
"I'm sorry, I can't keep a secret!"
We all chatted a bit, then I decided to go back to my apartment to do some homework. Pidge decided to join me. We held hands walking there.
Upon our arrival, I spun them around and dipped them. They giggled. "Hopeless romantic."
"I know."

WC: 1031
A/N: Thanks for 2K and #1 in gameover! Ily all, have a wonderful day.