A Beau-Tea

It was a Wednesday morning when he came in. I was busy with drive thru orders, but I served him quickly anyways. He ordered a Chai Latte and said that the order was under 'Lance.' Being the only barista that morning, I finished his order, and put it on a napkin which I wrote, 'You're cute,' because I was awkward and a hopeless romantic.
He didn't look up from his phone as he took his order when I called, "Lance." His name felt unusually good in my mouth. I took a breath as he sat down and then went back to work.
Five minutes later, he approached the counter again. He was leaning against the counter, without his phone this time. I turned back to him.
"How can I help you?" I asked.
"What's your name?" He asked back.
"The name's Matt. I'm assuming you're Lance?" He nodded. "Well, nice to meet you, Lance, but I have to finish these orders." I turned away, not wanting to.
"Wait! Er- when is there less traffic here?" Lance called.
I turned back, smiling. "At two to four-ish."
Lance beamed at me. "See you then."
I guessed he was a student, and unless he went to the community college, I hadn't seen him on campus.
The morning rush was finally over. On Wednesdays I didn't have classes, so I just worked. I went to the big university, studying computer sciences. Since I had gotten most of my basic credits out of the way at a community college back home, I didn't need to take classes everyday, all day, even, but I took enough and gave myself a day off. Seemed fair enough to me. I needed to make money to support myself and my younger sister, who was living with me while having dual enrollment in the community college. She wanted to be an engineer, but she also had a real passion for computer sciences, too. She was a junior in high school, and she took the morning classes that she couldn't take at the college, and then rode her bike to the community college for the afternoon, then ride her bike home.
We were originally from California, but moved to a small city in Washington for school. Our parents were still in California.
Lance came back at two thirty. He came up to the counter again, and waited for me to pay attention to him.
"How can I help you?" I asked.
"Just a water, please."
"A name for that order?" I laughed quietly to myself. Lance smiled and rolled his eyes.
"Very funny."
"So what brought you back?" I asked as a poured a water and handed it to him.
"I was looking for a cute boy, but he seems to have disappeared," Lance smiled at me.
"Oh, what was his name? Maybe I've seen him around?"
"I do believe the name was Matt, maybe."
"Gee, sounds familiar."
"Who are you?" Lance squinted.
"What?"
"What's your story, why are you here, is this your job, are you from here, you know?"
"I'm here for school, yeah, part time, no," I answered and laughed.
"Where do you go to school and why aren't you there?"
"The big university. I don't have classes on Wednesday."
"Nice. What are you studying?"
"Computer sciences. What's your story?"
Lance beamed at me. "I'm at the community college. I have lunch time classes on Wednesdays, from 10-2. I'm planning on transferring to a university in New York next fall and studying Marine Biology."
"Neat. My sister goes to the community college- well, part time."
"Really? I might know her. What's her name?"
"She goes by Pidge. Short, easily startled."
Lance gasped. "Oh my god."
"You know her?"
Lance nodded. "She's, like, one of my best friends. That's weird."
"Really? She's never mentioned a Lance. Just Hunk, Allura, and Keith."
"And there's me and Shiro."
"Woah."
"Weird."
"Very."
"So, would you want to go on a date with me sometime? Without Pidge knowing. She'd freak."
I laughed. "Sure. Wait, here." I grabbed a piece of receipt paper and wrote my phone number on it. "For safekeeping." Lance blushed.
"Okay, I- uh- see you later!" Lance ran out. I smiled.

Matt: I met your friend today
Pidgey: oh god which one
Matt: you have more than one?
Pidgey: shut up who was it
Matt: Lance
Pidgey: I've never talked about Lance before
Matt: well we talked for a little bit and I mentioned that you went to the college
Pidgey: oh god
Matt: what
Pidgey: you two should not be friends
Matt: why
Pidgey: too much chaotic good
Pidgey: not a good idea
Matt: good idea
Pidgey: matt no
Matt: Matt yes

Unknown: Hey it's Lance
Matt: hey
Lance: how about Friday night? maybe a movie?
Matt: sure
Lance: Cool. I'll pick you up about 6 maybe?
Matt: sure. Just gotta hide the peanut butter from Pidge.
Lance: haha
Lance: see you then

In class on Thursday and Friday, I was antsy for Friday night at 6. I worked a couple hours after classes, then went home and cooked for Pidge.
"Hey, Pidge, I'm going out tonight. I should be back about nine, maybe. I'll let you know," I said.
"Where are you going?" Pidge was watching Gravity Falls and eating peanut butter, which I snatched from her.
"To a movie."
"With?"
"Uh- a coworker," I lied. Pidge detected this immediately and turned around on the couch.
"Try again."
"A old friend?"
She made a buzz noise. "Nope."
"A new friend?" This wasn't exactly a lie.
"Mm," she frowned.
"Fine, it's a date."
Pidge gasped. "Who?"
"Nope."
"Matt," she whined. "Please."
"No," I shook my head.
"Matt," she tried again.
I sighed. "Fine, fine. You can't tell anyone though?"
She frowned. "Who would I tell?" She gasped. "Is it Lance? It's Lance!"
I blushed a little. "Maybe."
"Oh my God!"
"Not a soul. Don't even tell Lance I told you."
"I promise."
My phone buzzed.

Lance: I'm here
Matt: k be down in a sec

I double checked my outfit, waved goodbye to Pidge and ran downstairs out the apartment. As I got into Lance's car, I saw Pidge peering through the curtains.
"Hey," Lance said.
"Hi," I said. "What are we seeing?"
"A movie."
"No, really?"
"Mhm."
"What movie?"
"Uh, Jurassic Park."
"I love those movies. But you mean Jurassic World?"
Lance rolled his eyes. "Sure."

The movie was good and Lance and I even held hands for a little bit. He drove me home and walked me back to my apartment. We stood very awkwardly outside in the hallway.
"Thanks for going," he said.
"Of course!" I said. "Thanks for inviting me."
"Yeah." He scratched back of his neck. "Can I give you something?"
I raised an eyebrow curiously. "Sure." Lance took a deep breath and pecked me quick on the lips before running down the stairs and yelling bye. I blushed and heard squealing from inside. I rolled my eyes and went in. Pidge fell back from the door. It appeared as she was kneeling on a chair, looking through the peep hole.
"Pidge!" I helped her up.
"Sorry!" She rolled her eyes.

Matt: are you free next Saturday, not like tomorrow, but the Saturday after that?
Lance: yes
Matt: k cool. Can I pick you up about uh 1?
Lance: sounds perfect
Matt: nice

"Are okay by yourself next Saturday?" I asked Pidge.
"Tomorrow?"
"After that."
Pidge shrugged. "Sure. Can Hunk come over?"
"Sure. Don't throw a party, though."

Lance would continue to visit the coffee shop on Wednesdays. While in bed one morning (by myself, you nasty!), I discovered an epic pun to make that morning to ask Lance to be my boyfriend, officially.
He came in, order a chai latte, and paid, like usual and then waited for me to call his name.
On the napkin, I wrote the following: You're a beau-tea, be my boyfriend?
Lance picked up his order, looked up from his phone, shot me a smile and then say back down. He had to take a couple sips before he noticed the blue sharpie on the brown paper.
As he read it, he nearly spit out the drink. I giggled from behind the counter. He looked at me, his eyes saying, Really?!
I winked and Lance rushed over. "Yes!" He kissed me, then hugged me. I stood in awe for a second. A few patrons glanced over, but didn't make a fuss about it. "Sorry, was that too forward?"
"No," I smiled, and kissed him on the cheek.

After Lance had left to go to class, I received a text.

Pidgey: you have a boyfriend?
Matt: yikes. Aren't you in class?
Pidgey: yes
Matt: get off your phone!
Pidgey: would you rather me be skipping
Matt: whatever

WC: 1471
A/N: It's Latte, so a giant pun? Get it! Kay I'll go now. Comment some other ships you'd like to see or more platonic stuff, if you want.