#19: The Flyer

I leaned across the wall as the hungry kids headed to lunch. I was waiting for Jake to finish physical education and he was taking quite awfully long. Today, he had asked me to wait for him because he had something to tell me. Part of me was happy that he saved me from sitting with my band, because boy would it been akward. However part of me yearn to know what he wanted to tell me. My brain throughout crazy ideas and possibilities of what Jake could tell me, none that could’ve been possible in my eyes. You had to expect the unexpected from Jake.

As much as I really wanted to know what he was talking about, I really wanted to head to lunch. I didn’t want to come super late when they served the trash they call food. Typical school lunch sometimes I wonder if they are trying to kill us in the process while trying to teach us.

On the other hand, something caught my eyes. Dodging the hungry kids heading to the lunchroom, I strolled over to what I was curiously looking at. It was a flyer, for my school ‘Spring Fling’. A smile switched as my lips. I was excited for it, on the other hand, I didn’t want to come. Dances weren’t really my thing, bad experiences and memories. This time, I was expecting Jake and I to become more physical than best friends and that he would really kiss me. Not as a dare.  I ripped the paper off the wall and looked at it.

Something, no someone startled me. No other than the late mister Jake, he smiled as saw me. Snaking his hand around my shoulder he curiously eyed the flyer. I shook his sweaty arms off of me, and a smirk tugged at his lips knowing that I hated his ‘man essence’, it was more like man funk!

“You’re late.” I commented as he stood up straight and leaned against the wall.

He scowled, “Mr. Browning made me run and extra lap. That bastard.” He said, “But, what’s that in your hand.”

I handed him the paper for him to read for himself. He dropped his bag as he smooted out the paper for him to read. A smile plastured his face when he found at that we were having a dance. Were we the only one’s oblivious to this? Becase the dance is tomorrow night.

“Awesome!” he declared, “ I can’t wait to get my boogie on.” He said doing a disco dance and turning around to shake his behind. A couple of kids in the hall way passed him and laughed. Jake was the most popular boy in high school, I had to remember that,

“Dude ,” I said to him, “You need to stop hanging out with my parents.” My mom and dad most definitely said boogie on, and a lot of other lame ways to say that they were going out to dance.

“What?!” he defended, “You’re parents are cool. By the way….are you coming?”

I shrugged my shoulder. Like I said before school dances weren’t my thing, “Jake you know these type of events aren’t my thing. I might or might now show up.”

A smile masked the frown that Jake had previously had, “If you want I could come over and order some pizza with extra cheese. And you know we can watch some sappy romance movies and cry. Your choice.”

“That’s a great offer, but I’m sure you rather be at the dance.” I said smiling at his sweetness. I’m surprise that he would give up his fun for me.

“No, it’s fine.” He said folding his arm, “We didn’t have that much fun and sleep over in such a long time.”

“I know.” I said, “But I might come.”

He grabbed my shoulder turning me towards him, his eyes mesmerizing me. I felt so insecure under his stare, as if he could see exactly what I felt about him. He passed his thumb on my jaw bone. I stiffened, not knowing what to think or what to do.