#41: Check and Mate

#41: C H E C K & M A T E

When I was four years old, I could remember my mother telling me, "Play nice with your cousin, he's partially blind". After that, I cherished my eyesight and I took care of it. Weird, I know. However, I'd become so grateful for it that I stopped reading in the dark and ate as much carrots that I can eat even though it wasn't my favorite vegetable.

But now. But now I wished that I was partially blind like my cousin, Clint. Matter fact, I wish I was hallucinating and everything that was happening before me was all in my head. All I needed was a little rest because after all this was going to be a long day.

"Baby, trust me." Colby grinned, "Everything is going to be fine."

I think I'm going to be sick to my stomach. I always pictured Tyler and I meeting up, but not with this prick Colby and definitely not when I was in the state of mind where I was confused. Yes, I've said it confused.

I've practiced the words I would've said to her but all just seem to disappear in a blink of an eye. My body lost its ability to move and I stood there staring at the girl I love and her prick of a boyfriend eating and having a jolly good time.

"Ty!" I heard Colby whisper to her, " Some weird boy is staring at us. Nine O' clock."

I quickly threw my hoodie over my head and spun around heading towards the bathroom. That prick Colby, laughing with my girl. Even though I decided not to propose, she was still my girl. My first love.

And I thought seeing her in person, I'd walk up to her and plant a big kiss on her and she'd be trill to see me.

Everything seem to crash and come downhill for me. I sure didn't want to approach her when Cory was around. I paced back and forth in the co-Ed bathroom with the doors locked. The lights flicked a bit as I continued pacing. A knock on the door was what snapped me out of thought.

"Man, you've been in that bathroom for so long." A familiar voiced complained, "Are you okay?"

Coby

I kept quiet for a while until I sputtered,"Uh-I-I'll be out in a sec."

I paced a couple of more times before Cory began knocking violently at the door. Walking over, I swung open the door making sure we didn't catch eye contact.

I could feel his eyes follow me," Hey, you're that kid who was staring a few minutes ago." Coby said placing a hand on my shoulder that froze me in place, "Hey man, want an autograph or something. My girlfriend she'll take a -

I shook his hand of my shoulder and seethed, " I don't want an autograph of you."

"Oh." Cory kindly said, "Oh then you must be a fan of my girl friend. I'll call her over-

I had the urge to slap the crap out of Coly," No!"

I decided that this conversation was over and I walked away my eyes lowered at the floor. The floor was quite interesting, with its black and white checker board pattern. I felt like the king, limited amount of room to move.

I could hear my friends laughing nearby. I had two options:

1. Leave my friends and call them telling them I was out side.

2. Go back to the table.

I decided not to ruin there fun and went with the latter. As I headed back to the table with my head staring down, I had stupidly bumped into someone, downing over a lemonade they had just recently bought.

I'd recognize those toes anywhere. It was Tyler's. She must've gotten up with Colly went to the bathroom. I didn't recognize.

I felt trapped. I felt like a the king.

Checkmate.

I didn't even recognize that my hoodie had fell off due to the compact. It was over.

"Jake." Tyler Feilds breathed out. I couldn't tell if she was happy or sad. I looked up at her, her beautiful brown pools of eyes that left me with nothing. What was she feeling right now? Let me in Tyler. Let me in. She stood staring at me, and I stated back at her. I was all loss of words.

It was Colby who snapped us out of our intense stare, " Tyler, I've seen you met one of your fans." Colby stared cheerfully, " Poor boy was scared for me to call you over. He had blurted out a No."

Tyler said nothing. Nothing at all. Her eyes darted to Colby who seems so oblivious to the current situation. Did he not know who I was? Of course he did. She just hadn't provided him with a picture.

Colby intwines his hands with Tyler pulling her closer. That seem to get my blood boiling, causing my hand to fold into a ball, "What seemed to be the problem?"

No one answers. His eyes darted to Tyler who seemed to be in a trance, "Tyler?" He probed.

I caught the eye contact of my friends and they had already began walking, coming towards me. All this was happening so wrong. It wasn't suppose to happen like this in a stupid little burger shop with Colby holding hands with her. She didn't even try to let go.

And the way she said my name, without any emotion seemed to burn my heart even more as it echoed over nonstop in my head.

"Oh my gosh Tyler!" Lulu exclaimed. I didn't recognized when all of them had made there way over here.

An even more confused look took over Colby's face, " Wait," he questioned," Who are all these people."

"Babe." Colby uttered softly," Are you okay? If you want these fans to leave then .... " he trailed off turning towards me and the rest of my band," Look here I'm -

Getting angrier by the second I snapped, " We're not fans." I informed, "We're more than that."

"Look." Colby said letting go off Tyler's hand," I've been being kind to you since, and your attitude is really getting me."

"Look." I said stepping forward, "Prick, we know her. "

Colby turns to Tyler, "Do you know who these people are?" I could tell he was becoming annoyed, "Look, I could take care-

"Yeah." Tyler muttered.

Finally.

"Huh," Colby said folding his arms across his chest. Tyler releases his form and holds onto his hand. A knife to the heart basically.

"Yeah," she repeated, " Yeah I know these people. "

**********

***Hey guys please comment below and vote. Xoxo ***

Gah, tell me what you guys think. Hmm? Comment below.