Chapter Thirteen: Blue and Silver Balloons

When the first snowfall hit the ground of our precious city, every single student in our high school started to buzz about one single topic.

The winter formal.

As much of an excitement it is for everybody, it’s not actually a big yahoo to the student council. We pushed this thing until the last minute and now we’re running around trying to get everything stamped, signed and ordered.

I even asked my manager at One-Eighty to move my work schedule just to fit enough time to do both jobs.

Jasper and I were still not talking to each other, but Kyla kept me updated on him. They still conversed regularly and even though I’m half of the reason why we’re ignoring each other, I still felt something at the pit of my stomach.

Alright, I’ll admit it, I’m jealous.

“Pre-order thirty silver balloons and the same quantity for the blue ones,” I tapped my pen as I stood at the head of the table.

The long wooden table held the officers of the student body, jotting down notes as we tried to go through with this dance.

Kyla cleared her throat from my right side and I stared down at her, “Yes?”

“We already went ahead with the balloons,” she informed, though with the smirk she was showing me, I was worrying that she was implying something else.

I’ll worry about that later, we still have to plan everything else.

Papers were rotating around the table, each member inspecting the print, stamping it before signing and then passing it to the next person.

“We’ll start drafting the floor plan tomorrow,” I told them, tucking in the stack of paperwork into an envelope, “If you don’t have any questions, you may leave.”

“Wait!” Kyla halted, shooting up from her seat.

All heads turned to her and I asked, “Any questions?”

“Why don’t we head to the gym right now?”

Groans erupted from the people inside the room and I quite agreed with them, we were all exhausted.

“It’s been a busy day, I’m sure we could do that tomorrow,” I told her, picking up my bag, “Meeting adjourned.”

The screeching of chairs sounded across the room as people started to pack up and leave, throwing goodbyes at each other in the process.

Kyla pouted as we were the final two to exit the room, locking the door before we started to head down the hallway. Of course, my best friend still remained persistent.

“It would have been better if we went to the gym,” she grumbled under her breath.

She was clearly up to something, I just have no idea what it is.

The next day, I had no choice but to break my promise to Kyla, especially after I had received a call from my manager.

I was parked outside Kyla’s house, pressing on my horn to alert her that I was already here to pick her up. My ringtone started blaring and I picked it up with a tired sigh.

“Hello?”

“I know you asked for a reschedule, but can at least one of you two come to work, we’re really short on staff?”

I tapped the steering wheel and closed my eyes contemplating on my answer. With everything, I had no time to spare for things like this. Aside from the preparation for the dance, I still have enough drama to go deal with.