Chapter Five: Stubborn

“Savannah!” I heard Jasper call out as I walked out of the classroom.

People whipped their heads to our direction and I internally slapped my forehead. Seriously, these boy should know that he’s always on top of the rumor mill.

Especially if it involves me.

I kept on walking but I slowed down my steps so he can catch up.

“What?” I asked quietly, I was pretty sure people are eavesdropping right this moment.

That’s was when he blanked, as if he just called me for just the heck of it. I stared at him, waiting for him to say anything but nope, his mouth was just wide open, waiting for flies to get in.

“Right,” I drawled out, stopping right in front of my locker, “Is this about the project?”

He shut his mouth before his face brightened once again, “Yeah, the project!”

Lifting a brow at him, I slapped a stapled script right on his chest, “Learn the lines, we’ll practice tomorrow after school.”

He looked down on the script before beaming at me, “Yes ma’am.”

Alright, this boy is too cheery even in normal standards. I slammed my locker and without even a goodbye to him, I walked away, turning right to my classroom.

Once I was out of view, I released a loud sigh. Well, I survived that conversation.

The thing is, people were still staring at me. Rolling my eyes at them, I went to my desk, took a seat and glared at every person who dared to look my way.

The chair next to me was soon occupied by Kyla and she grinned at me, “What’s this I’ve been hearing about you and Jasper.”

Seriously, it hasn’t even been five minutes and even my best friend got the news already. That’s high school gossip for you.

“Kyla,” I groaned but she kept staring at me with those twinkling eyes.

“This is great,” she squealed, leaning over to give me a side hug, “I knew that talk last night would do some good.”

One problem, Kyla has one big mouth. Just the mention of a ‘talk last night’ was enough to turn heads. Sending a dark look at my best friend, she retreated her hand and slowly straightened on her seat.

“Sorry,” she coughed out before returning to her jolly mood, “But come on, you two talking is a big deal around the school. I mean, the last time you two were even seen speaking to each other was the first week of sophomore year, the last days of your friendship.”

During the end of my freshman year, I spent the whole summer away from home, in a camp that Kyla invited me to. It gave me a good excuse to be away from Jasper, our first summer apart. It then I made a decision, it can never be the same again.

Monday, the first day of classes, I still spent my lunch with him and Kyla. Tuesday, he was invited by his seniors from the basketball club to eat with him. Wednesday, he was seen with a senior cheerleader, making his popularity rise. Thursday, our last ever lunch together. Friday, I finally gave my one last silent goodbye to him when I gave him a sad smile when I passed him in basketball practice while on my way home.

The week after, I avoided him at all cost. He kept approaching but I stood my ground, I never once looked at him. A month later, he got what I was silently doing and the string called our friendship finally broke.

He never seemed affected by it, in fact, he looked so happy whenever he was with his teammates. He was much happier with them compared to the times we hung out.