Chapter One: English

“Didn’t I tell you to never go spread dirt on the school floors?!” I yelled with my hands on my hips as I stared at the dirty hallways. I would have understood if it was because it was raining outside and the mud stuck to all their shoes but right now, I knew for sure that the immature varsity team went to play out in the school field during the lunch break.

The jocks started to scramble around, clearing the hallway as fast as they can to make sure they didn’t get caught.

These idiots are the reason why I can’t calm down.

“How about you let the janitor clean this up then we’ll have lunch,” somebody suggested, stepping beside me.

I turned to her before letting out a tired sigh. Unlike Kyla Bailey, my best friend, I’m not as easy-going and mellow as she can be.

“I’m doing my best to make sure that the adults are not troubled,” I told her, walking to the cafeteria with her by my side, “They’re as busy as can be.”

“I still don’t see why you’re so determined to do,” she said, stepping in the cafeteria line, “Sure you’re student body president but the whole school is terrified of you.”

True to her statement, every single person avoided me. Their eyes reflected hatred, fear and simple annoyance.

I selected my meal for today and paid for it, waiting for Kyla to get hers. Something I always wanted to do was to keep this school in check. It had this horrible reputation and when I was chosen as student body president, I made sure that I’ll change our bad image. I had to be strict in order to do it, which ended up with most of the students getting scared of me.

Somewhere, I made the wrong turn.

“You should be acting more of the vice president,” I pointed out but she only laughed. Kyla was pretty popular – someone with her beauty was bound to be known. Even with her quirky and bubbly personality, she’s responsible and is capable of holding up the position assigned to her.

“You should try to relax a little bit,” she retorted playfully.

Though she was smart and all, she’s a little too laid back.

 “Pass it!” somebody hollered from the other side of the room before we felt a ball zoom past us. We whipped our heads to its direction and saw that Jasper Dean was now spinning the basketball on his finger, chuckling at his teammate who passed it.

“I can’t believe you were once friends with Jasper Dean,” she snorted, forking her salad into her mouth, “He’s childish in every way and you’re not.”

My eyes locked with him for a brief moment. Like we were silently communicating, we held each other’s gaze. It was something we understood each other since childhood; no words were needed in able to reach out our thoughts.

“Savannah!” Kyla cracked me out of my trance. A teammate of Jasper swung his arm on him and that was when both of us turned away from each other.

Since we were kids, we were the best of friends. He didn’t know why but we stopped talking to each other. Well, I was the one who stopped talking to him in the first place.

The reason was so obvious, he became the jock and the teachers started to praise me. He became busier with basketball practice and I started to devote my time into studying. Other than that, I hinted that he had a crush on Kyla. Back then, I liked him… a lot. It was one of your cliché having a crush on your best guy friend.

How awkward would that be?

We drifted apart, I got over my puppy dog crush on him and he stopped talking to me altogether.