Chapter Twenty-Four: Pompom Waving Love Child

“Do you think that I did the right thing?” I asked Kyla over the phone as my eyes fell upon the clock hanging on my wall. It was already half past midnight, but I was lucky that she was willing to talk to me right now.

She was silent for a while, probably thinking of the right answer, but as she clicked her tongue, she spoke, “I’m not really sure, I think you were just talking out of fear.”

Well, I am scared. College is not as simple as high school, where if you live in the same city, you’re probably going to see each other again. It’s much more complicated to the point it’s unsure if you’re even going to stay in touch.

“Kyla!” I whined, even I’m sick of hearing myself think this over.

“How about you go get some sleep, the boys have their championships tomorrow and we have to be there to support them,” she muttered before I heard her yawn.

A small frown overcame my face, but I agreed with her, I felt kind of guilty for making her stay up with me, but like I said, I’m extremely lucky to have her as my best friend, “Alright, good night.”

“Night,” she mumbled before she hung up. I threw my phone on the bed beside me and I looked up at the ceiling, trying to get myself some sleep, it was nearly impossible though.

Pushing myself up, I walked to my window and opened the curtain. My eyes were expecting Jasper’s curtains, but to my surprise, his window was open. It was kind of weird considering he usually kept it close during the night.

I squinted a little bit and saw the moving light from his phone, indicating that he was still awake. I watch him glance up to his window, giving him a good view of myself. My eyes widened and I ducked down so he wouldn’t see me.

Not yet, I wasn’t ready.

“Savannah?” I heard his voice, and I clamped a hand over my mouth to prevent myself from saying anything. Once again, I heard him call out my name, “Savannah?!”

Thankfully, he gave up only after two tries. I peeked a bit and saw his retreating figure, probably going back to bed. I bit my lip and shook my head, slowly closing my windows and curtains, making sure they didn’t make a sound.

If you think that I got sleep after that escapade, then you’re wrong – completely and absolutely wrong.

When it was nearing six in the morning, I finally gave up and I kicked my blankets off after a night of tossing and turning on my bed. I was frightened by what I saw in the mirror, especially my eyes, they were nearing the color red.

I tip toed around the house, making sure I woke nobody up. The first thing I did when I got in the kitchen, I prepared myself a huge cup of coffee, I’m going to need it if I want to survive the day with a functioning system.

Opening the cupboards and fridge, I gathered enough ingredients to make everybody in house’ favorite – chocolate pancakes.

My mom was the first person to go down, she saw that I was already preparing breakfast and she gave me smile as she poured herself some orange juice, “I rarely see you up so early.”

“I figured it’s useless to push myself into something that’s impossible,” I replied to her statement, sipping on my mug of coffee, before I flipping the pancake on the pan. Whether if I was talking about my situation about Jasper or I was just being melodramatic about sleep, I may never know.

I finished up the last pancake and placed the big plate on the dining table as my mother prepared the rest of the breakfast as we waited for the other members of the family.

Dad was the next one to go down and he licked his lips at the delicious sight of the pancakes, “Good morning, girls.”

It took some time before Celeste and Drew come, probably because as they went down the stairs, they were already dragging their luggage with them. When they caught sight of me, Drew scrunched up his eyebrows as he stared at my face.