Chapter Twelve: Stupid

“Just saying,” Tristan said, leaning against his chair, “For a girl who people claim to be smart, you’re so clueless.”

“It would be great if you will tell me why I’m clueless,” I huffed, picking up a fry before dropping it back down on my plate, not finding it in myself to eat.

He and Kyla shared a look before grinning, clearly a gesture that meant they were hiding something from me. This is so frustrating.

Jasper was still avoiding me and so here I am, sitting at the cafeteria with Kyla and Tristan. We still grabbed a bit of attention, but nothing too major. People are starting to get used to the fact that we’re all friends now, to the point that nothing seems to be shocking anymore.

The tables have turned and I have no idea why.

From the looks of Tristan and Kyla, I’m seriously missing something in this equation.

Resting my chin on the palm of my hand, I released a sigh. Somebody please clear this up before I go mad.

I tried to get something out of Jasper but all I received was a grunt. I gave him a soft smile and he nodded in acknowledgement to my direction as he sat down on his chair next to me.

That’s when I felt it. My stomach lurched as I gripped the edge of my desk, taking deep breaths as I tried to calm myself. Our project was done, we have presented our scene in front of the class, and now, we’re back to normal.

The bad kind of normal.

Ms. Hughes was droning on in front of the class, further discussing a literary masterpiece but I just blanked out. My hand was gripping my pen as it hover on the page of my notebook, but my mind was nowhere inside this room.

Damn it, Jasper, you’re doing this to me.

Kyla met up with me so we can go to our next class together. She noticed the huge distance between Jasper and I as we walked out of the classroom. She frowned as she subtly pointed at him, I shook my head in response to her silent inquiry.

When I noticed a boy dropped a crumpled piece of paper on the hallway. I bent down and picked it up, staring at the retreating figure. I don’t know what made me so mad, but this little piece was enough of to fuel me up.

“No littering!” I yelled, taking a few steps forward before chucking the paper to the student who dropped it.

The boy flinched as the contact, turning to look at me. I pointed at the paper that fell to the ground and I glared at him.

I was back to being a bitch.

Jasper was one of my many spectators and I stared at him. He was standing in the midst of the crowd, looking like he was ready to sprint to my side. The problem was, he didn’t.

I kept walking to my next class with Kyla trailing right behind me.

“Savannah,” she called out, pulling me into the nearest restroom. She locked the door, preventing anybody from bothering us, “You alright?”

Jasper used to assure me that everything was alright. Did he felt this way when I suddenly broke our friendship or he simply didn’t care?

“Kyla, why is Jasper avoiding me?” I asked softly, sitting on the rim of one of the sinks.

“I’m as confused as you are,” she replied, standing in front of me, “But if you two solved this before, you can definitely do it again.”

“Can’t you see?” I stomped, “The fact this is happening again is clearly a sign.”