Chapter Seven: Playground

“I told you it will be alright,” Kyla practically boasted as we entered the school. She was practically bouncing since I picked her up this morning, begging me to tell her details of what happened last night.

When I mentioned his little speech, she squealed like we weren’t in a closed vehicle. I was deaf by the time we pulled into the school parking lot. It was a good thing I didn’t even bother to mention the hug or else she would never leave me alone about it.

Now she’s walking up with so much pride, claiming that if she and Tristan weren’t there, Jasper and I would never become friends again.

I’m giving her a day before I burst her happy bubble.

“Good morning, girls!” Tristan suddenly greeted, causing us to jump in surprise.

Wait a minute, is he really talking to us in school?

He swung his arm on our shoulders as he continued to walk with us through the busy hallway, “Nice day we’re having, right?”

People were staring. Every single person we passed looked like they were about to faint in shock and disbelief.

Trust me, I was mirroring the same expression.

Kyla looked up at him and questioned, “What are you doing here?”

“I go to school here,” he replied, pointing out the most obvious thing in the world.

“You know what I mean,” she said.

“I don’t see anything wrong with it,” he shrugged as if it was no big deal.

I thought we had a strict rule that we’re not going to converse in school. All talk will be done during work, when we’re all on our break.

The students started to point at us, their jaws dropping as we passed them. Something in me snapped and I commanded, “Go to your classrooms!”

Somebody from the mass of teenagers even had the guts to say, “The bell hasn’t even rung yet.”

Do they really want to anger me at such an early hour in the morning?

“To class!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, using the most furious tone I can manage. Kyla flinched beside me, Tristan retreated his arms from our shoulders, and every single students started to scamper out of the hallway.

You could practically hear a pin drop after a few seconds since I yelled.

“So that is how it happens,” Tristan muttered from behind me. I looked over my shoulder to place my gaze on him as he looked at the empty halls that was filled with students a minute ago.

Congratulations Tristan, you have now experienced the president that students fear. You even had front row seats to that amazing show!

“That was kind of harsh,” Kyla commented, looking at the few lockers that the students accidentally left open the haze.

I bowed my head in shame, I seriously have temper issues. I slammed one of the lockers shut, biting my lip as I held back my thoughts.

“Savannah?” Tristan slowly approached me as if I was time bomb ready to explode with one touch.

The thing is, I am one.

Why do I always have to explode like that in front of everybody? The little things people do was enough to get into my nerves.

I don’t even know why I was elected to be student body president. I flunk the part completely.

“What happened here?” Jasper walked up to us, looking around the empty halls, “Am I late already?”