Chapter Eleven: Script

Placing down my tray on the table, I pulled out the chair on sat on it, smiling at Tristan who eyed me suspiciously from across the table.

“Hey?” he questioned, observing me as I uncapped my bottled water.

“Hi,” I greeted, trying to sound casual.

Of course, feeling like a bird in a middle of a rhino stampede is completely casual.

Since fishing any information from Jasper is out of the question, Kyla and I agreed to switch places. So here I am with Tristan, and at the other side of cafeteria, Kyla is probably giving Jasper a hefty interview.

Maybe she can find out why Jasper just suddenly left me hanging last night.

Stop being so cute.

What did he mean by that?

Setting my chin on the back of my hand, I quirked my head to the side, “Mind explaining to me why you and Jasper are currently in a silent war?”

His lips pursed into a tight line, shaking his head, he pushed away the tray of his lunch, losing his appetite because of my simple question.

Oh my darling Jasper and Tristan, why can’t this be like first grade? Just a simple mud pie and you’re all back to being playmates.

“It’s complicated, Savannah.”

Their friendship is complicated? No, what’s complicated is when Jasper and I were so close then I suddenly got jealous because he started to like Kyla. I ignored him and broke our friendship, but miraculously, because of one simple coffee accident, we’re back to being friends once again.

Now that’s complicated.

Seriously, I just accidently poured coffee on him and here we are. Take that as an advice, ladies.

“Just a hint,” I urged.

Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair, “First Kyla, now you.”

Well, we are trying to solve a mystery. For what I know, we’re working at the same place that caused a rift in your friendship.

“Let’s elaborate this,” he finally gave in, setting his palm on the table and tapped his fingers on it, “When did I start working at that café?”

Leaning back against my chair, I muttered my answer, “Junior year.”

That was easy, I remember back then when we were all so surprised to learn Tristan Hansen was going to work at out little café. Even as a junior, his popularity was slowly rising. I had a reputation as a studious student, but the student body wasn’t terrified of me back then.

It was one of the reasons why I befriended Tristan easily without him hesitating. All he knew was that I had a past friendship with his best buddy.

He nodded in confirmation before he continued on, “When did you end your friendship with Jasper?”

“Sophomore year,” I replied easily, “And that was when you became his best friend.”

He hummed, notifying me that my answer was correct, “Connect the dots, there’s this someone in that café.”

Tristan started to wiggle his eyebrows, clearly implying something.

Wait, there’s someone in One-Eighty?

The only people Jasper knew who was working there are Kyla, Tristan, and I. Why would he be so upset because the three of us were working at that café?

Unless he was jealous of Tristan. Then that means…

“I finally got it!” I slammed my palms on the table as realization flashed across my face.