Chapter Thirty-Two: See You Soon

You would think that after a full year as serving as the student body president, I would be ready for this moment. Strangely enough, I wasn't.

Jasper tugged my hand gently as he led me into the school building with our families following right behind us. My feet were shaking in my high heels and I would have probably fallen down onto the ground if Jasper wasn't holding onto me.

I mean, I may not be the valedictorian so I had no right to have a speech, but I would still be the first one to get my certificate as the last duty of this position. All I'm praying for is that I don't trip right in front of everybody.

I bit my lip, cringing at the taste of my red lipstick. This is the one day that I wished would never come.

After this, it's goodbye high school and hello college.

"Savannah," Kyla suddenly appeared, latching onto my arm, making me release Jasper. Tristan came around and placed a hand on Jasper's shoulder, pointing towards their teammates who were gathering for a group picture.

Jasper turned around to me and I nodded, gesturing for him to go. Turning to Kyla, she was smiling softly and slowly released me, "You ready?"

"Not really," I sighed, walking next to her as we went ahead to the gym when we saw that the boys were still busy with their other friends. We're not the kind to monopolize them, this might be the last time they were going laugh around like this.

I greeted Kyla's parents and she did the same with mine. We took some pictures before we finally got seated, ready to start the ceremony.

We were kind of trained by the teachers to sit still and be on our best behavior during the ceremony, but it was kind of hard when you have to go through the principal's boring speech.

Bailey, Dean, Everett, Hansen. It was kind of impossible for any of us to be seated next to each other considering the first letters of our last names, nonetheless, we shared quick looks and glances.

I could feel my eyes slowly starting to close and my head bouncing, my body trying its best to fight off sleep.

After for who knows how long, the principal concluded his speech and announced, "And now, it is time for the handing of diplomas to the graduating seniors of..."

I basically blocked out the rest of chatter when I was suddenly snapped back into the waking world. I instantly stood up, completely forgetting about the cue the principal had told me.

All eyes were turned to me and I bit my lip harder, threatening to draw blood. The principal, on the other hand, remained composed as he continued on, "And we shall start the giving with this year's student body president – Savannah Everett."

The audience clapped and I pretended to straighten up my dress before walking to the front, my eyes focused on the ground as I prayed that I don't take a wrong step.

When I got to the stage, I took a shaky step up the stairs. Taking a deep breath, I started to ascend up, my eyes peeling themselves off of the floor until I was locked in by the principal.

He handed me the rolled up paper, being held close by a red ribbon. I transferred it to my other hand before I did a handshake with him. As I did so, he patted my arm, giving me a smile, "Thank you, Everett."

"Just doing my job, sir," I told him truthfully.

After I started my escapade with Jasper, I lost sight of my goal. I was determined to reform this school, bring it back to its former glory. Slowly, I became friendlier with the students and the fear subsided, but what I failed to notice was the fruit of my efforts stayed.