Chapter Two: Alright

Not proofread.

“Seriously, you’ve been spacing out a lot today,” Kyla pointed out, tying the back of her apron, “Are you sure you’re alright.”

I’ve been staring at my phone the whole time, as if Jasper would suddenly call me out of the blue. I look up at her face which was a mixture of concern and annoyance. Letting out a small nod, I stuffed my phone into my bag before I slammed my locker shut.

“Just thinking about school,” I said vaguely. Well, I was doing this project with him.

She shook her head before finally allowing this topic to slip. After she gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder, we head out of the locker room and into the kitchen.

Chefs were buzzing around, preparing the orders being brought to them. A line of intricately garnished food was lined up, ready to be taken to the respective costumers.

“Hi Tristan,” Kyla chimed, practically skipping to one of our part-time cooks. He looked up from the plate of pastries he was preparing and he offered the both of us a smile.

“Hi girls,” He greeted, finishing what he was doing before wiping his hands clean, “Ready for work?”

Tristan Hansen was a student at our school – also, he was Jasper’s best friend. From what he has told us, Jasper knew that he was working as a cook but he never told where. He mentioned that he knew his best friend would react differently if he found out that it associated to me.

Honestly, Jasper and I were the best at avoiding each other. Please note that if Ms. Hughes never wanted to play matchmaker with her darling students, we would still be playing the ‘let’s ignore our ex-best friend’ game.

“Looks tasty,” Kyla commented. Tristan showed his appreciation for the compliment but I want to butt in to tell him that it wasn’t the pastries that Kyla was talking about.

She’s absolutely smitten by the guy, she used to talk non-stop on how wonderful it is that the two of them were working at the same café. After that, she started to ramble how fate had done this to the both of them and on off she goes as she ramble on. This was usually the part I start to ignore her.

“Maybe I’ll spare you two a taste during your break,” He winked and I swear, I could see Kyla melt into a puddle right there.

Looking at the clock, I decided to save my friend from making a complete fool out of herself. I tugged at her arm lightly, “Come on, we need to work.”

The look in her eyes told me that she wanted to stay here and talk to him. I shook my head as I started to drag her out to the hall, “Keep on the good work,” I threw at Tristan before I pushed open the swinging doors of the kitchen.

“I swear, we could have kissed if you didn’t interrupt our moment,” Kyla pouted, taking a pen and a notepad.

God, my best friend is delusional.

“And I swear that you could have risked every chance you have with him,” I mimicked her tone as I rolled my eyes.

She stuck out her tongue at me, just like what a child would do. That’s the thing about Kyla, she knows when to be mature and when to be fun and playful.

“Just go and wait on tables,” I told her, pushing her slightly to one of her assigned table that was occupied by a slightly awkward couple.

Those were the worst kind of costumers.

Another waitress walked up to me with her hands gripping a tray full of cups, “Could you take table nine for me, I’m kind of full?” She asked, eyeing the said table.