A Mission from the Mizukage

Nineteen year old Itachi Uchiha sat in the midst of a sunflower field. It was the usual sunny day in Konoha and he was off duty for the next few days. One would expect him to be in his room or even going to visit his favorite dango shop. But no. Itachi had a strange urge to sit with the bright flowers with a book- The Giver- in his hands. It was a Christmas gift he received in the mail. There was no return address, but there was an envelope inside.

Itachi-san, 

   The first thing I want to say is that I am extremely sorry for leaving you on that bench! I had a feeling that you would stop me from what I had to do, so I had no choice. I'm so sorry. On another note, I really hope you enjoy this book! I remember how much you love to read, so maybe you'd find this book interesting.

   I'll be back one day, and when that day comes, let's go get dango at your favorite dango shop. okay?

Merry Christmas and take care, 
   Sakura

   He wondered constantly how she was faring out there. Was she safe? Was she hurt? Where was she? How was she?

   ...Would she really be back one day?

   Only time could tell, eh? She had four years left. Four, long, long years. And then he could see her bright, cheerful smile again.

~

   "Sakura-chan, it's been so long!" Mei greeted. She stood up from her desk and brought Sakura into a tight hug. She nearly suffocated in the Mizukage's large and impressive chest department. Once she was allowed to breathe, she grinned at the older woman.

   "I came by a couple of months back. How are you and your hubby doing?"

   Mei had married a wonderful man, whom Sakura was well acquainted with, two years before Kisame married Suiren. Now, Mei had an adorable four year old son named Haku Momochi.

   "Zabuza and I are doing well. Now Sakura-chan, could you do a small favor for me? It'll last five weeks, six weeks tops."

   "Sure."

   "Oh thank you, Sakura-chan! I need you to do is go on a mission with Zabuza and Kisame-san. All this mission needs you to do is pose as the daughter of an ex-shinobi being protected by two mercenaries. This ex-shinobi;s, Fuguki Suikazan, daughter is a target to many people out there, and those people have to be eliminated." grinned the Mizukage, "Zabuza and Kisame-san are already waiting for you by the gates and have more information for you. Have fun!"

~

   Kakashi walked through Ta no Kuni with a keen eye observing his surroundings. He was sent on this two year long mission to observe Takigakure and its country, Ta no Kuni, and the large stretch of unclaimed land in between. He was now in a small village about seven hours away from Otogakure. Maybe he could ask some of the locals about how their lives were.

   The first place he stumbled upon was a small pharmacy in the center of town. Kakashi entered the store quietly and looked around.

   "I'll be there in just minute!" someone called from the back.

   "Take your time." he replied, picking up one of the glass jars and inspecting the herbs inside. He heard footsteps on the wooden floor.

   "How may I help... you....?"

   Kakashi turned around. The minute he laid an eye on the shopkeeper, the jar slipped from his shaky fingers.

   "...Ri... Rin...?"

   Rin took a deep breath and looked up at the shocked man.

   "Hello again, Kakashi." she said, straight-faced, "Look, I want you to know that I'm s-"

   Kakashi's arms encircled around her and pulled her into a tight hug. Tears flowed from his eyes as he buried his face in the crook of her neck.

   "You're alive." he whispered, "You're alive. You're alive. You're alive. I'm so happy."

~

   Kisame and Zabuza stood on either side of their 'charge', acting like the bodyguards they were supposed to be. Sakura, though, was none too pleased with the situation she had been forced into.

   "Aw, come on. You look cute." Kisame grinned. She sent him an exasperated look and held up her arms, her kimono's sleeves pooling around her elbows.

   "Cute? This is inefficient! What kind of person wears kimonos like this anyway? Long dragging sleeves? Geta sandals? This is ridiculous! I can't fight like this!"

   "Ridiculous, yes. All Fuguki-sama's daughter wears are furisode kimonos, so you're going to have to deal with it for five whole weeks." smirked Zabuza.

   "Everyday?"

   "Everyday."

   "Dammit."