Journey to Kirigakure

Ten year old Sakura walked alongside Ibiki and Shikaku, deep in thought. They were currently on the mission to make amends with the Mizukage, but that was the last thing on Sakura's mind at the moment. Just before she went on this mission, she made a trip to the hospital to check up on her... illness. There was no cure. No way around it. And if she was too reckless, it could become terminal.

   She pushed the thought out of her mind and forced a smile onto her face. This was only a minor setback; she wouldn't let something like this keep her down. Even if one day, it could kill her. As they approached the Mizukage's Tower, Sakura tugged on Ibiki's sleeve.

  "Sensei, I'm going to roam around a bit. I'll see you in a few hours?"

   "Go ahead, brat."

   Sakura smiled and bounded off to who knows where. Shikaku raised a brow at the interrogator. Ibiki waved him off and continued into the building.

   The girl walked the streets of the misty village, peering into bars and stores just trying to find the person she was looking for. Finally, she found him walking out of a weapons shop.

   "Kisame-san!!" she called out. The blue man stopped in his tracks and looked over his shoulder. A pointed grin grew on his face as he crossed his arms and let out a low whistle.

   "Sakura! Well looks who's a little lady. I haven't seen you in eight, nine months? I think you grew a few inches taller."

   She stuck her tongue out before running up to him with a hug. Kisame returned it gladly and hefted the girl up onto his shoulders with a grunt. Sakura giggled happily. She loved it when Kisame let her sit on his shoulders. She felt like she was on the top of the world. Grabbing onto his navy hair, she smiled brightly.

   "I'm pretty sure little girls like you aren't supposed to weigh a million pounds." he grumbled.

   "It's the weights. You're currently carrying an extra 65.7 kilos (144.84 lbs), but you should be happy for this weight training. So Kisame-san, I never got to ask you this last time I came. How are things going with you and Suiren-san?" she asked. Kisame was suspiciously quiet for a few seconds. Sakura then heard his sheepish chuckle and whacked him at the back of the head.

   "Hey! What was that for?"

   "You suck, Kisame-san. You just suck."

   "Shut up you pint-sized brat, I'm trying!"

   "Yeah, 'Trying'. You had four years. FOUR YEARS!"

   "This ain't a free ride you know! Unless you want to walk the rest of the way, I suggest you keep quiet about the matter. We'll cross that road when we get to it."

   Sakura pouted and crossed her arms on top of the Kiri-nin's head. He walked to a nice little dango shop the edge of the village. He set her on her feet and they sat down on the outside bench, conversing casually. Kisame had to admit that he was a bit worried. Sakura was cheerful like usual, but...

   She looked so discouraged for some reason.