The Ally of the Hidden Mist

As Ibiki and Shikaku walked back to the Mizukage Tower, they spotted little Sakura above the heads of everyone in the crowd. It was truly a strange sight. Was she sitting on someone's shoulders? The two stood there for a while and watched. Sakura was sitting on someone's shoulders. One Kisame Hoshigaki, the Monster of the Mist, to be exact. The two special jounin of Konoha could not hide their shock as their jaws unhinged and their eyes widened. Shikaku let out a low whistle.

   "I can't believe it. Ten years old and she's friends with one of the most dangerous people in the five nations."

   And the person Ibiki desperately wanted a rematch with.

   They reluctantly continued their walk. Shikaku was still very, what's the word, impressed, with what Sakura was capable of. She was just full of surprises that were amazing and unheard of. He cast the girl one last glance before entering the tower. Mei was already at her desk, reading over some papers with a cup of Jasmine tea in her hands. She smiled at the two men that entered the room.

   "Hello again. I trust that you two have enjoyed your break?"

   The two exchanged glances before taking a seat.

   "It was certainly interesting, Mizukage-sama." said Shikaku, "But I do have a question for you. Do you know someone named Sakura Haruno?"

   A grin instantly blossomed on the woman's face.

   "The sweetheart with the pink hair? Of course I do. She's come to the village twice a year for about three years now."

   Ibiki and Shikaku were shocked to the core. Again. And it hadn't even been ten minutes.

   'I have to remember to put a leash on that brat.' Ibiki grumbled inwardly.

~

   It was 11:38 pm.

   The treaty was finally complete after endless hours of working out the kinks and details. The two Konoha nin trudged into the chilly night. There were considerably less people on the streets except for the normal clubbers and bar hoppers. But there was one figure in the distance making their way towards them. They waited for a while until the stranger stepped into the light.

   Kisame Hoshigaki. With a sleeping Sakura on his back. He gently nudged Sakura awake and set her down on the ground. She rubbed her eyes and brandished a wide yawn.

   "You're going now, Kisame-san?" 

   "Yeah kid, it's late. It's best you get back with your team."

   She nodded groggily, hugged the man tightly, and stumbled over to her sensei. Sakura waved at the large blue man one last time before slipping into a near slumber- still standing up. Ibiki caught her before she could fall over, and when hoisted her up and looked ahead of him, he caught Kisame's soft gaze on the small girl.

   "I'm surprised that someone like you has a relationship with someone like her." Shikaku commented, breaking the silence. Kisame shrugged nonchalantly and crossed his arms.

   "I wasn't expecting it either. Imagine my shock when I'm resting after a battle, one with you no less," he said, sending a pointed look the interrogator's way, "And when I wake up, I see my wounds cleaned, bandaged, and a tiny little five year old grinning at me from the side."

   Ibiki's eyes widened.

   "You mean to tell me that five years ago--?!"

   "She came looking for me after you passed out. After she found me, she tagged along on an assassination, then went back to that village you two were stationed at."

   Shikaku vaguely remembered that mission to the Mist. Ibiki was hospitalized for two days once he came back from that mission.

   "Then that katana and scroll she brought back was from you, wasn't it?" Ibiki accused. 

   "I have no idea what you're talking about." Kisame smirked, "And it's best I go now. Next time, Morino, I want a real fight."

     "We'll get a real fight when we get to it. Just don't run away with your tail between your legs next time."

   "I didn't run away, I hastily retreated."

   "It's the same as running away!!"

   Even with her face buried in her sensei's neck, Sakura smiled.