Politeness

Itachi blinked and looked down and setting the piece of produce aside, his eyes meeting twinkling emerald orbs. Her eyes, as well as her lips were smiling at him, but it was masking something. Weariness? Exhaustion? It was something of the sort.

   "Aa. Did you go to the hospital as I have directed?"

   He noticed the black bands around her arms and legs and narrowed his eyes. He and his mother exchanged glances.

   "Un! I'm completely fine."

   Mikoto brushed the topic aside and smiled at the young girl.

   "Now that you're here, Sakura-chan, why don't you come over for some tea this time?" the housewife invited, "I promise that you are not at all intruding."

   While Sakura looked indecisive, Mikoto gently gripped the girls upper arm and led her towards the Uchiha Compound. She instantly felt the metal underneath and opened her mouth a bit in surprise. The woman struck up some small talk to mask her surprise all the way to her home. Once inside the main household, she seated Sakura down on one side of the dining table, Itachi on the opposite, then rushed into the kitchen. The ten year old stared at the girl in blunt interest, and she smiled back at him.

   "You are not with Morino-san today." he noted.

   "Sensei went on a mission and won't be back for a week. So I'll do what he says and get used to these weights, and maybe even work on my accuracy with kunai and shuriken!" exclaimed Sakura. Itachi's stare hardened as he blinked.

   Twice.

   ...

   Thrice.

   Is that what she had been doing? Training with Ibiki? Thought was surely ludicrous and the girl certainly didn't look like much. And it would also explain why she looked so exhausted. She was wearing weights for crying out loud, and she was so young! Itachi was going to get to the bottom of this one way or another.

   "Did you approach Morino-san and inquire him about becoming your sensei?" And did he agree so readily?

   "Nope! He asked me after he saw me create this really big dragon out of water!" she replied cheerfully. A flash shone through his dark eyes as he narrowed them.

   "Show me."

   "E-Eh?"

   "Show me the technique."

   Itachi saw a mischievous gleam in her eyes before she smiled and leaned backwards.

   "Only if you ask nicely, Itachi-san!"

   "No." he answered immediately. He crossed his arms and glared at her. Just who did she think she was, demanding such incredulous things from a high ranking shinobi such as himself? Sakura sighed mockingly.

   "Then I guess I can't show you." she muttered dejectedly. Itachi went rigid with disbelief. He was not getting played by a five year old. He wasn't. He was Itachi Uchiha, and mind games did not work on him. 

   "You will show me."

   "But I won't until you ask nicely."

   "Why should I?"

   "Why won't you? Is your nice bone broken or something?"

   "Hn."

   Itachi thought this was extremely ridiculous. Sakura thought this was fun. Mikoto thought that was was adorable! She watched the scene from the doorway, and for the first time in years, Itachi acted his own age. Mikoto couldn't remember a time when Itachi had acted like this- and she was glad. She was glad that someone had finally poked through a bit of her eldest son's shell, and she could only hope that Sakura could break through more.

   He could not believe this. At all. Finally, after a multi-second stare off, he scowled.

   "Will you... please... show me your technique?"

   "Nope." she chirped, "Say: 'Will you please show me your technique, Sakura-chan?'"

   Mikoto covered her mouth to hide her full blown laugh. Itachi swallowed down his dignity and clenched his teeth.

   "Will you... please... show me your technique, Sakura...chan?"

   The girl grinned and popped up onto her feet.

   "Of course, Itachi-san! Why didn't you ask that before?!"

   Itachi twitched.