Itachi's Decision!

"I hope you understand your situation, Itachi." Koharu Utatane, the sole female council woman, said. Itachi, who was kneeling before the three council members and the Hokage, kept his head down as he spoke.

   "Hai, Utatane-sama."

   "You don't have to go through with it if you don't want to." Minato inputed softly, "You don't have to take on the burden if you have no desire to."

   "But, this is all on your decision. Whatever you decide is the catalyst to the outcome." Homura Mitokado stressed.

   "And if you make the wrong decision, everything will be put onto you." added Danzo. Itachi refrained from sighing and settled for taking a breath instead.

   "... Hai. I understand."

   "Then you have 24 hours to give us your answer. You are dismissed."

   Itachi stood and bowed, the left the office in his usual, calm manner. Thoughts whirled through his mind. The clan. The clan. The clan. What was he going to do? Murder his family in cold blood for the village, or stay loyal to the Uchiha and betray the village? There were only two paths for him, and he knew they were both wrong.

   But Konoha...

   There was nothing he loved more than Konoha, besides his baby brother, that is.

   He rounded a corner to see Sakura sitting on the ground at a deserted playground, staring up at a tree. Her head was cocked to the side and her cheeks were puffed out. He approached her silently and took a seat next to her on the edge of the sandbox. There were a few seconds of silence.

   "What's the matter, Itachi-san?" she questioned. He wouldn't lie, he was amazed that she could sense his discomfort when no one else couldn't. Perhaps she could help him with his problem and tell him if what he had in mind was the right decision.

   "In a few months, I am going to kill my clan to protect the village as well as my little brother."

   Immediately, Sakura stood and moved in front of him.

   "For a genius, you're pretty fucking stupid!" she snarled. Itachi visibly flinched, startled by her vulgar outburst. He was surprised to find her eyes a few shades darker and even more surprised to see her baring her teeth at him with an animalistic growl.

   "What do you think you'll achieve with a mass slaughter that will no doubt scar the little brother you're trying so hard to protect?!" she exclaimed angrily. Itachi sighed.

   "It is the only way to protect him from the clan's ideals. They are planning a coup de'tat-"

   "Then let them plan it." she interrupted with a steel voice, "Let them execute it if they ever do. I guarantee you that less lives will be lost and your little brother will find the truth out for himself." Sakura's eyes faded back to its usual green, "I know you want to be a good big brother and a faithful shinobi to Konoha, but there aer so many ways to be both without giving up your life. As a wise man once said, 'We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them'."

   She turned to the direction of her house.

   "At least be thankful that you family's still around to love you." mumbled Sakura. She started to walk away, "Some of us aren't that lucky, you know."

   The Uchiha stared after her with soft eyes and his mouth hanging slightly agape. He stood there for a few seconds before forcing his legs to move to the Hokage Tower.

   The answer was clear enough now.

*Disclaimer: I do not own the picture of Koharu (right) and Homura (left)
** 'We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them'.- Albert Einstein
*** NEW SHORT STORY: Only Human

   I've known Hidan for a long time before I met my demise. To me, he was just a fool who praised a god who didn't exist. But when I became a Shinigami and read the story of Hidan's life, I realized that I was horribly mistaken. He wasn't all that I thought he was. Hidan of the Akatsuki was a man who wanted to give everything up for the only person he would ever love, but, maybe I was right on some parts. He was a fool- but the special kind.