_____________________

Xi'Ai Meriem
_____________________

When the night was still young, I gathered my stuff and began to walk home. Taking my long, clip-on tresses out, I shove the fake hair into my small backpack. My head felt a lot lighter as I scratched my sore scalp. Taking my hair out of the small ponytail, my real hair bounced down in freedom as the ends slightly curled near my jawline.

The boy hasn't returned from the Headmaster's office yet. Should I be worried?

Shrugging off my thoughts, I walk faster as I can see the sun desperately reaching out its hands over the horizon. By the time I approached my street, the world had awoken from its long slumber.

I internally curse at myself as I began to sprint home. The cover of darkness had left me, and I was exposed by the morning's rays of sunshine as I stealthily scaled the back of my house and swung myself through my open bedroom window. I quickly undress and jumped into bed to try to get a few minutes of sleep before school started...

**********

"Meriem."

Five more minutes....

"Meriem! "

Raising my head, I notice that I was still in bed. Rolling over, I groan into my pillow as my sister opens the blinds of my window.

"Wake up! It's past noon!" She screamed into my ear which made me groan even more. Sitting up in bed, I scratch my head while sleepily looking at my older sister. She was wearing a pretty dress that complimented her style. Her thick, wavy hair hung down to her small waist. "Why are you so dressed up?"

"I had a concert in the morning."

I face palmed myself in realization. "I'm sorry, Gracie...I didn't mean to forget..."

With a heavy sigh, she looks down at me sadly. Her eyes sweep over my pale complexion and the dark bags underneath my soulless eyes. "I wish you hadn't quit school. If mom and dad were alive...."

"Well they aren't!" I snapped at her. "If they were alive then we wouldn't have had to do a lot of things." I said as I got off of my bed. My bedroom seemed smaller as the tension between us grew thicker.

"You shouldn't have to work at this job! It's dangerous! I'm the older sister. I should be the one supporting you, not the other way around...."

I frown down at my older sister. "Never think like that. You work in the day and I work in the night. I don't want you to get hurt like last time."

"You could get hurt too!"

"I know....but I'm being selfish." Tears stream down my face as I began to hiccup from my emotions. "I already lost my parents twice, I can't lose you too."

"We both lost our parents, Meriem. Don't you think I worry about you too?"

Ignoring my sister's words, I grab a set of clothes and head to the bathroom. Slamming the door shut, I slide to the ground as I began to sob. Why did it have to be like this? I can hear my sisters muffled words through the door.

"Even if we don't get separated through death, we are separating from each other emotionally. You're taking a path that I can never follow. Please, let the old Meriem come back to me. I miss her."

"I miss her to." I whisper back. Unfortunately, the old Meriem is dead.

*******

After fighting with my sister, I escape the house and go to the peer that was down the street. Our house was near a small lake. Sitting on the edge of my favorite peer, I watch the soothing water ripple around my feet. The very thing that calmed me the most resembled my life so closely.