十二

Tàiyáng's POV

When I arrived home from night classes for the day, the building was dark. Turning the lights on, I begin to prepare dinner for me and my brother. He must have had a difficult surgury or something.

I had decided to stay at home instead of dorm since I didn't want to leave my brother alone in an empty house by himself.

Looking at the clock, I sigh and begin to eat without him. Another lonely meal. Making my way upstairs, I prepare for bed.

Late in the night, I hear the sound of keys and the door opening. I groan as I roll over and check the clock.

4:57 a.m.!

The sound of my brother's heavy footsteps on the stairs startle me awake. He usually walks softly when he gets home late at night.

When I get out of bed, I pause before opening the bedroom door. The sound of someone crying echoes through the empty hallway, permitting my dark bedroom.

Is that my brother crying?

Quietly, I slowly open my door so that it doesn't make a sound. I squint against the bright lights; when my eyes adjust, I'm shocked at what I see.

My brother is standing motionless in the bright hallway. I watch his still figure rock back and forth, as my strong brother is brought to tears in front of my very eyes. Suddenly with an angry shout, Sēnlín punched the wall with passion, but with a choked sob; he crumbles onto the cold floor and holds his head in his hands.

Worried about his unusual behavior, I rush to his side, but he doesn't even notice my presence.

"I..I...could have..... sav...saved her...I could have saved her." Over and over again, he repeated those words as he grasps the front of my shirt.

Understanding dawned on me as I realised what happened. "Sēnlín. It's going to be okay."

"No, it's not okay! She was too young to die.....if...if only...." he couldn't finish his sentence.

Letting out a sigh, I motion for him to get up, but in his mental state, he became dead weight. I heave his heavy body up and try to lead him to the bathroom to wash up, but he was too heavy to carry down the hall.

So instead, I half carry half drag him to our bedroom we shared. Sēnlín's bed was the top bunk, but there is no way I am getting him up there tonight, so I placed him on my bed. Before I could leave him in peace, he grabbed my hand and whispered, "She was too young, Tàiyáng."

Grabbing a chair with my other hand, I placed it near the bed and begin the closure process that I use on my brother whenever he becomes like this.

"What was she like, Sēnlín." I asked him in a soft voice.

"She was going to be a mother."

"Really? How far along was she?"

"She was 6 months pregnant with her first child. She told me how excited she was, because she was adopted, and wanted her child to experience loving and being loved by a blood family that the woman didn't have when she was young."

"She must have felt very lonely until her child came." I commented

"She also had a younger sister who was from the same orphanage. She had schedueled a check-up, because she had been feeling weird lately.When I performed the checkup, her vitals were normal. But later in the day, the woman's blood pressure started to rise and she went into labor too early. We tried to save both of them.......but only the baby survived."