十 一

Songbird's POV

"So....what is the mystery behind the rumors that surround you? I'd rather hear it from you then from petty gossip. " Tàiyáng said as he sat on top of my desk.

"Out of all of the empty chairs, why do you have to sit on my desk?" I motioned to all of the empty chairs around us. It was after school hours and we were in our empty homeroom after classes had started at our new college.

"It's a bad habit, besides......it's way more comfortable up here." He gave me a mischievous wink. I slightly blushed as I feigned looking through the classroom window.

"Oh, speaking of bad habits, why were you sleeping during morning classes?" I turned to him when I asked. Maybe it will distract him from his question.

Tàiyáng ran his fingers through his thick brown hair. "I must have stayed up too late last night."

He is so cute when he does that......what am I thinking?! I slightly shook my thoughts away.

"How late?"

"3:00 a.m."

"Aish! No wonder you were sleeping, what where you doing that was so important?"

"It's a secret." He laughed as he masked his face with another one of his smiles.

Since we played more than studied, our books were stacked in a neat pile to the side.

"You didn't answer my question."

With a heavy sigh, I knew that I couldn't avoid it. It was bound to come out anyway.

"My village was considered a social experiment. If a community of people were hidden from society, how long will they last before eventually dying out or over populating. The villagers called it the Doomsday Project. From what my father told me, I was part of the fourth successful generation to be born in the village."

"How come they used you and your minority instead of picking random people?"

"We were considered expendable at the time since we were the smallest of all the minorities."

Nodding his head, Tàiyáng allowed me to continue my story.

"Our village was known for it's secret library which we kept underground. We were used having people come visit us as  they were our only source of information to the outside world. But one day, a new group of vusitors entered our village in search of someone. We showed them our library hoping they would find what they we're looking for. "

I paused in my narrations as the memory of the suffocating smoke and the sound of gunshots flashed before my eyes.

"For some reason...they burned down our library and began slaughtering everyone. I don't know how I survived...sometimes...just sometimes...I wished I hadn't." With that,  my voice broke as I quickly cover my mouth with my hands as my eyes began to water up.

Instead of saying the typical "I'm sorry" response,  Tàiyáng just silently wrapped his arm around me. "It's okay to cry. It doesn't mean you're weak, it just shows you're human."

I nod my head but I doubt he could see me. Once I was able to compose myself,  I slowly receded from his embrace.

"You good?" He gave me a sad smile as he gently cupped my face with my hands.

"Yeah....I'm good."

"Do you remember anything about those visitors?" Tàiyáng hesitantly asked me I had put enough distance from him.

"It was weird.....something that started with an L....what was it."

"Don't push yourself to hard." He joked.