Trying Times

Kassi and Harrison sat by London's hospital bed. She stroked her daughter's head until she feel asleep. The doctor couldn't stress enough how important it was that Kassi got her to the hospital when she did. A fever that high was dangerous for anyone, let alone a child. Basically the plan going forward was to get London's fever down then figure out what caused it.

Kassi hadn't moved from her side since they admitted London 6 hours ago. The nurse said it was a good thing for London to sleep so Kassi left her alone. "Can I get you anything babe?" Harrison said pulling his chair over and grabbing her hand. He placed a sweet kiss on her forehead.

"Just being here. You are the best." She smiled at him. "Thank you."

After checking in at almost every nurses station, Brian finally found the correct floor. Of course it would have been a lot easier if Kassi had answered all his calls asking where they were but he hadn't heard from her in hours. His nerves were shot at this point. When he walked into room 1204 of the pediatric unit he frowned at the sight of the woman he loved holding hands with another man. He didn't dwell on it too long because the sight of his tiny baby girl in a massive hospital bed fast asleep was making his stomach turn.

Kassi didn't know why she did it but she immediately pulled her hand out of Harrison's the second she saw Brian walk in.

"Something wrong with your phone?" He asked sarcastically.

"No?" She answered pulling it from her purse.

"Oh really? Well I called you about 14 times since I landed." He snapped

"I'm sorry, I was trying to get her settled and I was just focused on the doctors and nurses coming in and out." She apologized.

He dragged another chair closer to his daughter and placed his hand against her forehead, "She still have a fever?" He asked.

She nodded her head, "They checked it about a half hour ago and it was still at 105."

"And she was fine all day yesterday?" He asked.

Kassi nodded her head, "She never said anything. Renee and I took the kids bowling after school. She seemed totally fine. I don't know what I could have done differently, I've never seen her so sick."

"Hey!" Brian looked at her, "You didn't do anything, these things just happen suddenly sometimes. You're a good mom Kassi." If anyone knew about getting so ill so quickly it was Brian. When he had his health scare of meningitis years ago, it came on fast and hard.

At this point a young woman in a white lab coat came in, "Seems like Ms. London has another visitor.

Brian immediately stood up, "Hi, I'm Brian. London's dad. Sorry it took me so long to get here, I was away for work."

"Nice to meet you Mr. Quinn, I'm Dr. Hoist, I'm over seeing all of your daughter's care. Our hopes were to get the fever down before running any tests but if there's an infection we want to start antibiotics as soon as possible at this point. That will hopefully help with the high fever."

"Ok is that blood work?" Kassi asked.

"Yes." The doctors answered, "Very simple, I already paged a Phlebotomist, they should be here shortly. I also want to do a throat culture to check for strep. Has she been complaining about a sore throat at all?"

"No she hasn't said anything." Kassi insisted starting to tear up.

"We are going to figure this out, I'll be back in just a bit once the blood work comes back, I'll be putting a rush on it." Dr. Hoist said.

Once she was out of the room, Brian stood, "I'll be right back." He said to Kassi. Seeing Dr. Hoist at the nurses station signing some paperwork he approached her, "Excuse me Doctor?"