Chapter Twenty Six~*

1- Jamie

I don't know what to think. I'm lost in my memories.

The feel of the gun pressed against my stomach, the ripping sensation when the bullet tore through me, the water going up my nose and mouth, the lack of air, the near death experience. My cries and begs, his soothing words . . .

"Ssh, Jamie, don't worry."

All of it comes rushing at me as Gold talks. I know I'm crying but I can't stop myself. He's making me relive the worst moment in my life.

"Okay, that's all sad and stuff but what does that have to do with Jamie? I mean, it's just a another story. Things like that happen all the time."

At this point, I can barely hear Jeff though I am comforted that he's trying to defend me. His hand is still rubbing circles into my back but the comforting gesture isn't helping as much as I would like it too. I want for it to go away. I want to get over this, to get over my fear of him, of everything. How can I be strong if I'm still so afraid?

"Jeff," I can hear Gold begin but their whole conversation has been pushed to the back of my mind. "The man said the little girl's name was Jamie."

I feel as if, at these words, something big or grand or life changing should have happened. None of that actually happened. No fireworks went up, no banners to announce that my father tried to kill me, no cake to celebrate that I managed to live. Nothing. Not even a chessy song like you see in most movies that help set the mood.

Although, what I do get is a surprised look from Jeff and a grim expression from Gold. I know my reaction has confirmed that I am indeed the little girl from the story and that doesn't seem to have reassured Gold. As a matter of fact, he looks pretty darn upset about being proved right.

"Jamie," Jeff says in amazement. "Is everything he just said true? Did that-"

"Yes," I snap. I'm still crying and feeling miserable but I can't bite back a harsh response. "Does that make you feel better Gold? Yes, my father tried to kill me. Yes, my childhood is so bad and terrible. Yes to everything!"

My outburst is met with stunned silence. I immediately feel guilty at snapping at them because, after all, it's not like it's their fault, but my pride won't let me show it. Their eyes bore holes into me and I look away, not able to stand the pitiful looks they give me. I just want to scream. This isn't how they were supposed to find out. I had been planning on how to tell them. Things weren't supposed to go down like this. I feel like a fool for speaking out of anger and self-pity but I refuse to take back what I said.

"Jamie, I'm so sorry-"

"Don't!" I nearly scream. I jump up so fast, I actually startle Jeff. "Don't you dare pity me or tell me your sorry. I am still the same person I was before you guys knew. Do not start treating me like I'm a weak little child who needs to be protected. It's an insult considering how hard I'm trying to get stronger."

Both boys mouths have dropped open and they watch as I storm out of the room.

I intended on having a dramatic exit but today is just not my day. The second I step out, I manage to storm right into someone. A very tall someone.

I stumble back and look up into the blank face of Slenderman. His head is tilted towards me and I hold a hand up to my face in an attempt to hide the fact that I'm still crying like an idiot. Confusion rolls off of him and he looks over my shoulder into the room at the two stunned boys who are still sitting on the floor of the room.

"What is going on here?"

"Nothing," I mumble, taking his distraction as an opportunity to wipe away my tears.