Chapter Twenty Three~*

1- Jamie

I find myself standing once again in front of Slender's bedroom door. Part of me is screaming and begging me to turn and run but I take a deep breath and push down the fear. I raise my hand and knock firmly on the door. There's no response. I wait for a while before knocking again. Still no response.

So, I do something suicidal. The door opens quietly, with absolutely no creak. My heart is climbing in my throat because I know how dangerous this is.

No one is allowed inside Slender's room uninvited. Everyone in the mansion knows that. It's one of the few rules of the mansion. I heard that one person who broke that rule ended up brutally murdered. I don't want to end up like that but I really need to talk with Slender.

"Hello? Slenderman?" I call out quietly.

I open the door wider until I can see inside. The first thing I notice is how small the room actually is. There's a long bed pushed to the very back but it was obvious no one ever slept there. Books and piles of papers lay scattered all over the bed and floor. The next thing I notice is that Slenderman isn't in the room. I immediately begin backing out but stop when my eyes land on a piece of paper.

It's mostly hidden beneath a bunch of other papers but it's colorful edge sticks out noticeably from the white and black papers. After glancing around, I bend down and grab the paper. That's when I realize it's not actually paper-it's a picture.

I nervously pull the picture from under the others and look at it. The picture was taken during the day, out in the forest on a sunny day. There are three boys in the picture, two I recognize; Slenderman and Jeff. I stare at Jeff's face in shock. This had to have been when he was around twelve or thirteen. I can't tell Slender's age, of course, but what gets me the most is the boy between them.

The boy has white hair and bright blue eyes. His skin is pale and he has a bright, happy grin on his face. It seems as if he is about my age, maybe older-nineteen or so. Something about him feels familiar but I can't remember ever seeing him in the mansion.

A door slams and I jump. My heart racing, I stuff the picture in my pocket and run out of the room, closing the door silently behind me. That boy's face still bothers me and I'll have to ask Jeff about it later but right now I have bigger things to worry about.

2- Jamie

A few hours later, I'm sitting in the kitchen with Jeff. He's trying to learn how to cook and so far he's managed not to turn the cookies into rocks. Now, they just end up completely burned. But, Jeff sees it as an improvement because now they are slightly edible.

"Your cooking is going to be the death of me." I joke as I throw the batch in the trash.

"I just don't understand! I do everything you and the box say! How do they always end up burned so badly?" He grabs his chef's hat and throws it on the floor. "Why are you making me wear that?"

I smile and go to him. "It looks nice. Also, how long are you putting them in?"

"Uh, the box says for like 10 minutes."

I nod and go to the oven, looking at the dials. When I notice where they are, I begin laughing. "Jeff, you have it too high. That's why they are burning."

He moves beside me and looks at the oven. "Oh."

I laugh harder and adjust it to the right temperature. "Try now."

He groans before going to the counter and starting on a fresh batch. I sit back down and watch him. Jeff's back is to me so neither of us can really see each other. I contemplate getting up and helping him. Right as I'm about to get up, I hear the door open and slam shut.