Chapter Twenty Four~*

1- Jamie

On the third day of training, Slender decides to show up late. I lean against a tree, waiting for him to show. It's nearly an hour later before he comes into view. Upon seeing him, I stand straighter, much to my ankle's disapproval. A flash of pain goes up my right leg, whose ankle I managed to sprain the first night.

I know he's seen me but he still walks slowly forward. I growl and push myself forward but make no other movements to go forward. Eventually, he reaches my waiting place and stands in front of me. I cross my arms and scowl at him.

"You're late," I growl, which I know is risky considering he is always angry when he gets here.

"I am the teacher. I can come when I want. If anything, you are just early and I am right on time."

I growl again and pull out the box of weapons. On the first day, Slender decided that, from now on, I won't be fighting with a knife because it's overused and if I want to get stronger, I'll need to leave my comfort zone. There was some logic there and, somewhat reluctantly, I tossed my knife out and so far I've been learning to fight with other weapons.

The first day, I tried a sword, which wasn't so different from a knife, but I wasn't used to the extra reach and I ended up having some extremely close calls. After we decided to break, he decided I would need a different weapon.

Yesterday, I tried a bow and arrow, which wasn't as hard as it looked. Although, after almost sending an arrow through Slender's head, he furiously broke the bow and I decided that meant bows are also out of the question.

Today's weapon will be whatever he has planned for me next, which is why I'm so eager to start training. I'm excited to find out what my new weapon will be.

"Fine, whatever," I say, knowing arguing with him will just waste my time. "Let's just get on with this. So, what are we using today?"

Slender walks past me to the box and kneels down beside it. I attempt to look over his shoulder and between his arms and tentacles but I can't see anything. He opens the box and pulls out something small. I move back quickly as he begins to turn around, causing another flare of pain from my ankle.

I look up eagerly, expecting some cool and awesome weapon in his hands, but find a rod. Not even a cool one, it's just a smooth, silver one that has no designs or anything on it. I know my face shows disappointment and I don't bother to hide it.

"Wipe that stupid look from your face. This is not an ordinary rod."

I raise an eyebrow and get rid of my disappointed look. "Okay, okay, then do you care to explain what it is?" 

Anger washes out from him and I stagger back. The sound of a boy's laughter fills my ears and there's a small image of the rod. I'm confused for a second because it seems as if it's being held out to someone. Wrapped around it are a pair of hands that seem as if they belong to a boy. No, not a boy. Maybe a male teenager. I try to see more but it cuts off, as if Slender doesn't want me to see anything else.

I blink a few times to clear my head. Slender is still in front of me, holding the rod, but I notice he's calmed down a bit. I'm still confused about the image I saw but I'm more eager to practice so I push down my questions.

"Okay, not an ordinary rod. Can you show me what it is?" I repeat.

He nods stiffly and runs a hand down the rod. I can't see what he does, but suddenly it grows. I jump back just in time to avoid a curved blade, which springs out from the end pointing at me. I look up and Slender, able to sense his pleasure of seeing me jump back in fear.