Chapter Sixteen~* (Edt.)

1- Jeff

Betrayal. That's the first thing I feel, which is ludicrous. She just wants to speak with her mother. Alone. About us. Okay, maybe it's not so ludicrous. But, still, I don't understand why I'm feeling like this. I expected things to go this way. But that still doesn't stop these feelings.

"Okay," I say, even though I want to say no.

She smiles gratefully at me, as if she knows how close I came to saying no. I don't let my lips pull into a smile, instead letting my carved in smile show how I feel. Then, I turn and walk out.

Time to explore.

When I leave, I step slowly up the stairs that lead to the second floor. None of the steps creak and that pleases me. My hands glides smoothly on the wooden railing as I go up and when I reach the landing, I stop to look around. There are four doors on this floor. All are tightly shut but one stands out to me. I go to it and carefully open it. The door creaks a bit and I cringe at the sound but that doesn't stop me from opening the door to Jamie's room.

The first thing I see when I open the door is her bed. I go to it and sit on its plush covers while looking around the room. I've never really looked around her room before.

Everything is covered in a thin layer of dust. She has one long dresser pushed up against the wall across from her bed. There's a doorway beside her dresser which can only lead to a closet. Then there's her balcony to the left of me. I get off her bed and go to the balcony doors. There are still curtains over the glass and I brush them away. I can see her whole backyard from here. It's a large one, with a large tree at the edge of it. Other than that, there's really not much back there. I remember the very first time I came here, there was a ladder with a couple of paint cans around it. That ladder is gone now.

I sigh and move away from the balcony. I can't hear anything going on down stairs and that doesn't do anything to help me feel better. With another sigh, I leave her room.

1- Jamie

I watch Jeff's back as he walks away. When I'm sure he's not right outside listening in on us, I turn to my mom.

"Mom," I instantly say. "What was that?"

"Don't use that tone with me." She says firmly.

I feel so much anger, I don't truly acknowledging what she says. "Mom, that was so rude and embarrassing. Why would you act like that? Why would you treat him like that?"

"I'm more concerned with why he's in my house in the first place and why you are acting like he's your boyfriend or something." Her eyes narrow. "Is he your boyfriend?"

"No! That's why I'm here. I was hoping you two could get to know each other. I would like for you to get to know each other before I get in a relationship with him."

"A relationship? I thought you said he didn't want one with you." She retorts.

I groan and bury my face in my hands. "Well, then, I don't fucking know what!"

"Watch your mouth." She scolds.

I hold back the urge to scream. None of this is going how I planned it would.

"Mom, why are you acting like this?" I ask. "I thought you said you wouldn't care if Jeff and I were to get together."

She looks at me before sighing. "Jamie, I'm trying so hard to be understanding but I can't possibly understand why you would want to be in a relationship with someone who murders for a living. Especially someone who took you from me and almost killed you." That's when I notice the tears in her eyes.