Chapter 14

"So how have things been working for you?" He asked, for once not in his oily work clothes but this time in a simple shorts and shirt. His smile still looked tired, and his hazel eyes reminded me of honey that had gone unsweetened over the years—-as it used to shine and glaze under sunlight when he was younger.

I wished time hadn't done this to you Jackson, not my Jackson.

Oddly enough, the sound of an ocean passed our ears although we were absolutely near nothing of the sort. I let out a breath of air, replying, "things have been working out just fine surprisingly, karma has been good to me."

Jackson's smile didn't fade, but I could see that it wasn't the same. He leaned forward, his brown hair swaying, "you failed to assassinate the king, did that work out well for you?"

His question surprised me. "At first.... no." I answered, narrowing my eyes in suspicion to what he was trying to get at.

"At first?" He chuckled a little, gradually nearing closer to me. "Not only have you indebted yourself in this eternal slavery but you've also pulled your dog in with you." He stated, his voice growing louder.

"What are you getting at?" I asked, now becoming angered by his behavior. Obviously I feel bad for my mistakes and the things I've done wrong, him rubbing the wound the wrong way isn't going to make it any better. "Jackson-"

"How many times do I end up having to save you and your foolish actions!" He interrupted me, growing closer and closer.

"You never listen to me! And now you're going to have to pay the price!"

As his nose was now basically touching mine, I watched as his smile melted into a maddened frown. The atmosphere darkened into thick red chaos and his hazel eyes now looked like empty eye-sockets, a ravenous void of sinking evil and cries.

His skin burned; sticky, melting, bloody skin that looked like something you would experience in hell. I wanted to cry, seeing Jackson writhe in this unexplainable pain where his lips let out a fountain of gore and his hair morphed into a variety of maggots and hellishly disgusting insects that I've never seen before.

Jackson's decaying body hugged me and I listened to his croaking voice whisper,

"It's too late."

Finally, I let out a shrilling scream. "AHHAHHHHHHH!!!!" Sitting up pin-straight in my bed, I watched the door bust open as a worried Ayato came rushing over.

"What happened?!" He asked, demanding an answer from me while still heavily concerned. I quickly patted my sweaty face, feeling strands of hair sticking to my cheeks. "I-" my breathing faltered, dizziness messing up my view since blood had quickly rushed up to my head.

The king soon joined Ayato as well as a few other sailors who were standing outside the door—-surprised at the extremely loud scream. The king turned on the lantern by my bed, allowing me to get a better look at my surroundings as I tried to get my distant brain back on track.

"I'll take care of her Ayato, go get some rest since I need to switch watch-duty with you anyways." The king ordered, looking at the small man.

With one more look, Ayato nodded his head and walked out of the room, the sailors leaving with him. After the door closed, the king turned back to me, staring in silence. My eyes narrowed at the sight of his kitsune mask looking rather strange than usual, it looked as if he had rushed to put it on before coming here.

"Did I wake you up from your beauty sleep?" I joked, earning a soft laugh from the man.

"You woke most of us up, but that's okay." He took a seat on my bed, pressing the back of his hand against my forehead. "So it was just a dream I suppose?" He queried. Images of Jackson's decaying corpse flashed my mind once again and I flinched, clutching onto my bed sheets.