Chapter 5

So this is how it is, this is the job of a royal maid?

I squirmed in my spot, on the brink of throwing a tantrum after standing in the same damn place for over five hours already.

"Is there uh, anything, you need?" I asked hesitantly, anxious for an answer.

The king sat stone still on his throne, rolling up the paper in his hand before acknowledging my question.

"Come here."

I let out an inaudible, happy sigh, grateful to be doing anything but just standing there.

I moved away from the side of his throne, stepping down the stairs until I stood below his royal chair. "Yes?"

"I've failed to realize that you're inexperienced in this department of work. Today, I will still have you under my will but starting tomorrow you will undergo training to become a proper maid."

Training? You need training to become a maid?

My lips almost voiced the thought out loud. "If I can't do my job properly, then what are you going to have me do today?"

He sat silent for a moment, moving his long, white hair from off his kitsune mask. It was like I had a fox for a king.

"I'm going to ask questions... and you're going to answer."

I almost rolled my eyes, a hint of irritation was beginning to expose my lack of patience. "Okay," I simply replied, "ask away your majesty."

The man sat up in his seat, tilting his head down at me as if he was trying to find something I might be hiding. "Why didn't you tell me about your wound?"

Ayato quickly flashed through my mind, causing me to frown. "Why would I tell you?" It wasn't meant to come out, but I was at my limit and couldn't contain my temper anymore.

He leaned back in his seat, silent. "You despise me that much, yes? Why did you decide to assassinate me that night specifically?"

I scoffed, at this point growing bored. "If I don't stand up to you then who will?"

The man turned his head, "stand up to me for what?"

My eyebrows suddenly turned sharp, joining at the middle as it arched in an unpleasant manner. "You know exactly what you did you bastard, I'll have your damn head before I die, and when I get it, I'll show it to my mother and father's grave that was beheaded by your demand!"

My hand slapped onto my throat, clutching it as I was trying not to explode at the amount of pain and emotion I was suddenly feeling.

The king didn't move from his spot for a while but still managed to seem unaffected by anything I said.

Sick bastard.

He got up from his throne, walking down the steps with elegance before stopping in front of my frame.

"Look at me," his voice sounded deeper, but not out of anger or violence.

I raised my head up, staring up at his tall figure that was shadowing mine. "Do you remember me... (Y/n)?"

It felt like something was drilling through my chest, I didn't like the way he said my name, I didn't like it because it felt as though it was meant for someone else to say; not for the man I hated the most, not for the man that makes me want to riot every time I look at him. But at the same time, it felt as though that 'someone else',

was him.

How could you, how dare you hold the ability to say my name with so much care and concern when I know that's not how you really feel.