Chapter 13

The king who had requested my presence was standing by a large window in his literature room.

I never failed to find him here if I couldn't find him anywhere else. The man was a lover of books, and so his knowledge expands.

Moving up a little closer to his frame, I crossed my hands behind my back and gazed out the same window he seemed so intrigued by.

"I finally got to see Ayato after so long—-he said you wanted to see me."

The king didn't flinch nor move at my sudden appearance. Of course, he must've known I was here the second I stepped foot into this room; extremely keen senses seemed to be his specialty.

The man turned around, laying his eyes upon me in a graceful manner through his kitsune mask. "Not only wanted to..."

"I needed to."

My (e/c) eyes fluttered in reaction to his words. He seemed almost regretful to be saying this.

"For what reason?" I questioned, tracking his every move as he walked away from the window to behind his large wooden desk. The man held his hands together and replied, "I am currently set to be going on a journey to my cousins kingdom."

    Doing a double-take on the sentence that just rolled out of his mouth, I lightly shook my head, walking up to him. "I'm sorry your majesty, what?"

    His kitsune mask held still as he stared at me, I wondered if he had been irritated by my foolish question. The king took a seat behind his desk and parted his hands, "My cousin, The King of Ries, lives pretty far away from Komaji. Annually I would usually visit him, but things these past years have been..."

    He staggered off for a moment, motioning his hand towards me, "well, you know."

    Nodding my head, I leaned over his desk, my un-royal tendencies getting the best of me as they normally would every once in a while. "So you're implying that I go with you on
this—-" my eyes wandered, "—-journey?"

    More so a statement than a question, he answered regardless with a thorough explanation.

"My departure from the castle will break out as news to the people of Komaji eventually, leaving a red target on my head for assassins." He sat up a little more, sighing, "because of that, I will not only be taking you because of your raw survival tactics, instincts, and skills. But I'll also be bringing Ayato along with us."

    The sound of being able to spend more time with Ayato were bells to my ears, but I became saddened at the idea of leaving (d/n) behind.

"It'd be best to leave your companion here
(f/n)."

    As if the king had just read my mind, I nodded with understanding and pushed myself off the desk. "When do we leave?"

He stood up from his seat,

"tonight."

_______________

    "Are you sure you want to take (f/n) with us your majesty?" Ayato pointed at me with a raised eyebrow, finding the idea absolutely absurd.

Before the king could answer Ayato's question, I butted in, crossing my arms, "why shouldn't I? Would there be a problem if I came along? or—-" I raised my finger, tilting my head in a sassy manner, "—-I'd probably just be getting in your way right?"

Its only been the first day since or reunion and we were already back at it again with the traditional bickering.

Ayato looked at me rolling his eyes, "that's not what I meant (f/n), I'm just saying that journey's like these are usually extremely dangerous, you might get killed..." he paused, averting eye-contact, "and you'll probably end up getting in the way at some point."

About to counteract his reasoning, the king spoke up, halting our quarrel. "Alright guys enough, if anything Ayato you'll be the one getting us all killed with your unnecessary comments."

I almost bust out laughing at the sight of Ayato's face after hearing that sentence. Ayato never knew how to take constructive criticism, which is why he gets so defensive so quickly whenever someone tries to help him.

    "If you really need an exceptional reason for (f/n)'s presence, then the main reason she's coming with us this year is because her raw survival instincts could come in handy."

The king suddenly seemed pressed to get some heat off his chest. Ayato and I stared at him in concern, wondering if our quarrel was something to get so mad about.

But back to the task at hand. The three of us were currently standing on one of Komaji's strongest ships. Of course this was personally built for the king himself, which is why we'll be taking it across the country to safely arrive at Ries Kingdom.

"We'll be taking off soon your majesty!" A yell reached our ears from atop of the sailings. One of the sailors would finally be done with the adjustments so we can leave.

Feeling the barque move, I sprinted across and placed my hand on the red railings, watching in awe as the ship cruised through the midnight waves under the night sky.

Ayato joined beside me, leaning against the railings.

"I think I can see the stars in the water." I spoke with glee, pointing at a few that seemed most prominently reflected from the late night sky.

Although I didn't look at Ayato, I could still feel his moon-like eyes staring at me from the side. Was it amusement for him? Or judgment?

He placed his hand on my shoulder, nudging me lightly. "You see that childish nonsense you're talking about?" He caught my gaze, staring deep into my eyes with a worried glare. "Don't let that be the thing that gets you killed," he backed off from me, resting his arms on the railings again, "I have yet to see what 'survival instincts' the majesty is implying you have."

Smirking at him, I stabbed my chest with my thumb, puffing up in confidence, "you won't be disappointed!"

I was nudged again, this time rougher than before.

Ayato showed his pearly canines and for the first time ever his blue eyes didn't remind me of a demons, for it looked prettier than the stars on this black water.

__
A/n: Once again, I apologize for any grammar mistakes. I've been trying to get Grammarly to work so I can revise my work but the app just isn't cooperating so feel free to correct me if you want. Thanks for reading!

1053 words