Chapter 8

"What the hell is this, huh? I try to provide for us and this is what you're doing!?"

"Hey! Watch how you talk to me little boy, don't question my intentions!"

I listened to the drowned out voices that were yelling in the next room. Anxiety had begun to crawl my skin the longer I waited here, letting my anger slowly build up.

"Who is that bitch anyway?! your new girlfriend!?"

I couldn't take it anymore, even if she is Ayato's sister, that can't exempt her from what she's done.

"Who the hell are you?" I busted through the doors, grabbing her by the collar with a voice so low and cold I could feel the atmosphere darken. Without an ounce of hesitation, her kagune surrounded me; our third altercation causing Ayato to explode.

"STOP THIS NOW!" He stopped us, pushing us apart. "(Y/n) leave the room-"

"No, I asked a question. I want to know who the hell your sister is and how many more assassins she has waiting to slit our throats."

The girl just stared at me, something in those violently dark, purple eyes screamed resent. My expression began to soften, I straightened myself, relaxing in Ayato's hold.

Touka—she looked like the embodiment of sadness, a gloom color of misery dripping from her aura.

"I'm not going to bite her head off Ayato, you can let go of me."

The man glared, trying to decipher my calm attitude before releasing my arm.

"How many?" I asked, "we've already caught you, at least tell us how many more assassins there are."

She nodded, crossing her arms. "After all that's transpired, you want me to rat out my own friends? The ones that have been there for me when no one else has?" Her tone had an edge, aggressive. "I am rotting, in a hell that not even my own brother knows is killing me."

Ayato flinched.

"It's Aogiri." Touka's lips settled, her hair wavering. "They're trying to save you Ayato, but it's too late, you're corrupted."

The resentment... the sadness... the rage.

It suddenly became richer the more she let out what she's been holding in.

"How hard is it for you to open your own damn eyes and see that I'm hurting!" She screamed, kicking the table over.

"HOW HARD IS IT?!"

She crushed the wooden planks, a dent in the floor.

"HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU TO CARE?!"

She flailed, screaming livid and pure atrocity. She was hurting, really,

Bad.

"Don't ever try to come back, not when you left us so easily, because surely that wasn't hard to do."

Touka stormed out, leaving the two of us alone in the debris of the type of havoc she wreaked in this room.

I was afraid; I was afraid to look at Ayato.

I didn't want to see the level of hurt he was feeling right now after... that.

"Aya-"

"Let's go." He suddenly spoke up, beginning to walk away, "the assassins aren't the problem."

"I am."

After some walking, we made it to an old shaggy building some distance away from the kingdom. "So, this is aogiri?" I asked quietly, walking in the place along with Ayato.