Chapter 7

"This is the first in a long time since we've had an invasion like this." The king explained, holding his hands together while surveying the room through the holes of his mask.

  "It's unfortunate to say we don't know where the source is coming from," he continued, slightly leaning forward as his long, white hair fell past his shoulders, "these Assasins are skilled... and worse than dangerous."

  The king always manages to keep calm in the eyes of the public but I could detect he was irritated with the recent struggles of trying to keep his citizens safe.

  My lips tightened; pouting. No, he's not a good ghoul, remember? he's a demon.

  Ayato stepped forward, only half of his face showing as his messy hair casted a grim aura above it.

"The attack's began in Ohagi, we all heard about that. It'd be foolish to not expect another attack... but what we-" he stopped himself, my body stiffening when his trenchant, blue eyes met mine. "What I.. saw, was ten guards, dead—-torn apart."

  The man recomposed himself, his jawline flexing as he clenched the sharp grit of his teeth. "We will find these assassins and we will make them pay as we see fit. Please do not be shaken by the sudden news, thank you."

  The king walked forward after Ayato backed away, placing the tips of his fingers on his mask. "Now please, continue your reunion, and if you find or see anything suspicious around Komaji, report to my royal guard Ayato Kirishma immediately."

  I couldn't help but look at the darkness that surrounded Ayato, his sudden change of attitude made me uncomfortable. But I knew one thing; the blood of his comrades wasn't the issue that had corrupted his consciousness so severely.

"It wasn't her, it can't be her."

Who was her?

"I can't believe this is happening, what if they touch my wittle (Y/n)!" Fume wrapped her arms around me, Nishiki chuckling before wandering off to banter with his friends.

"May I steal you for the night (Y/n)?" The tips of my ears perked, Fume scrambling to reassess herself.

"Good evening your majesty." Fume bowed, an elegant smile adorning her face as her viridescent eyes began to rest in a calmer manner.

The king acknowledged Fume with a nod before turning to me, "there are important matters to discuss with you." He held out his arm, a familiar little, small hole inviting me to take it.

Is he serious?

  I looked left and right, reluctant to slip my hand through his arm as I held close to him.

"Why?" I whispered, squeezing through the crowd.

"Excuse me?" The king asked, genuinely confused.

"You know how much I don't like you, so why are you making me do this?"

"Oh, is engaging in physical contact with me the last thing you'd thought you do?"

He quietly laughed.

For a moment I could've sworn I felt my heart flinch in the bottom, core of my chest.