Chapter 2

It felt like wavering rings of pain, the hollow of my skull jolting me awake with a strike before I began to bare my surroundings, blackness swelling my eyes in the darkness.

"A prison?" I scoffed to myself, "didn't have to put a crack through my damn scalp."

"Didn't have to if you hadn't almost touched the majesty himself."

  I jumped from a sitting position to a kneeling one, startled. A dim light shone its way through my cell.

  "Guard of the Komaji Kingdom, what brings you to the cells of the wicked?" I fox walked up to the door of my prison, clutching onto it with a lean in order to get a better look at the man—one of the higher officials it seemed.

"I could ask you the same thing, miscreant."

I made a face. "So, the palace knows me well as a criminal now?"

  He scoffed, "you got guts to be speaking to the king like that. If the majesty didn't kill you, you're lucky none of the guards decided to slit your throat right then and there. First, you murder two of our guards, trespass in disguise with their armor, then try to kill Komaji's ruler himself."

  The way the man spoke seemed careless, a drop of angst in his tone.

He had his back turned, standing in a typical guarding stance by my cell. The king must have sent him to keep an eye on me.

"One ballsy girl..." he reproached.

  I didn't care much for how this stranger felt about me, so much so my thoughts wandered and a recollection of memories suddenly came to mind.

"Wait, where's (D/n)?"

"Who?—-"

"My companion!" That feeling of rush and enclosure was starting again.

"Oh, that mutt? It's fine."

The cell rattled as I shook, "let me see him."

  Our eyes met for a brief second, his irritated glare furthering my anger.

"Ahem, excuse me," another voice cut through. "The majesty requests your presence, swine."

  A man in a long red and gold kimono showed up, the little light there allowing me to see his purple hair and eyes, wielding a sly smile.

I later found myself in a red and gold kosode kimono, cherry sun-kissed attire sewn with silk as soft as blossom water. My usually tattered, stringy, (h/c) hair laid upon my shoulders groomed in a style called, Osuberakashi. I hated to admit it, but my skin and body felt like it was at a refreshingly higher level of health and care I haven't experienced in a long time.

"I've taught your ignorance about traditional apparel and hairstyles, I hope you keep these learnings with you."

Tsukiyama, the purple haired man who had fixed me up ambled over to me. "Now we must hurry before the court session begins without us." Locking arms, he dragged me along as I clutched my kimono, being careful not to trip.

We stopped at a large double door, the man took a deep breath. "Once we enter this room, I heed you watch your tongue and manners—understood?"