Chapter 9

"You won't do it, scaredy cat!"

"Scaredy cat, scaredy cat, scaredy cat."

  The little girl listened to them chant, the village kids shaking their tiny fists back and forth as they smiled teasingly through their teeth.

  "I bet you I will!" She stomped her foot, silencing the children. "I'll go in there all by myself and I won't even get caught!"

The feeble child wobbled as she turned around to look at them standing idly behind her, she pointed at herself, stabbing her puffed out chest with her thumb, creating a weak facade of confidence.

"Oh yeah?" A little boy squeaked, snickering. "Then prove it, if you get out of this castle with an item stolen as well, then we'll believe you."

  He placed his hands on his hips, grinning cheekily as the rest of the group tried to suppress their laughter.

  "Shut up."

  The giggling quieted, everyone drew their attention to the back of the small crowd to see a small boy making his way through.

  Jackson Koiu stepped towards the little girl who was still mentally preparing herself to enter the deathly omen castle.

  "Don't do it (Y/n), it's not worth it."

  She studied his dark, hazel eyes that used to look brighter and happier before. The girl broke into a smile, ruffling the tiny brunet's hair.

"Don't worry about me jack, I'll be fine, I'm older than you, remember? I can handle myself." Jackson squinted under her rough action of affection, watching as she walked away before entering the cryptic castle that every child in Komaji had feared.

  The sound of light steps passing through an empty, vast hallway seemed to fill the entire castle as little (Y/n)'s regret began to grow more and more. She continued to walk anyway in spite of the village kids' discouraging words.

  "I'm not scared of some old stupid castle." She huffed, whispering quietly in counteract of her tough semblance.

  "Who are you?"

  (Y/n) leaped up in fear, turning around to the meager voice who was quite obviously talking about her.

  A little boy stood only a few eight feet away from the girl, his petite hands held each other behind his back politely while he tilted his head.

  "A friend?" He murmured gently, focusing the span of his rocky eyes that glistened like stones as he tried to get a better look at the visitor.

He suddenly gasped, "a girl?"

His voice seemed to retreat, shyness enveloping his before curious guise.

  (Y/n) studied the boy, analyzing his exterior that dripped royalty and preppy attire that fitted his measly body.

"Are you the prince?!" She whispered a yell, in shock.

  The boy seemed to panic, shaking his head quickly, "No! No I don't even live here. I just, uh-"

  "So, you snuck into the castle... just like me!" The little girl became gleeful, sprinting towards him. "You're going to prove those cowardly village kids wrong right? You're going to show them you're not afraid of anything." She was about to playfully punch his arm but quickly refrained herself.

  This boy seemed different now, he looked lighter, happier. (Y/n) slightly crouched down to his height, ruffling his hair just as she did with Jackson.

"What's your name?"

He shivered under her touch, beaming.

"Kaneki... Ken Kaneki."