Chapter Twenty Nine - Best Friend -

"Reality smacked me in the face." I licked my lips. "It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, it hits me hard."

Rain put her hand on her chin, thinking deeply. I saw the color in her eyes change into different shades of brown. I stared at her, amazed. Is it a werewolf thing? I saw Angelo do that a few times after we kiss, cuddle, hunt, and even when I turn my head to see him already staring at me. I frowned at the thought. Angelo, what am I going to do with you? 

"So?" I blinked and looked at Rain, confused. 

"Huh?"

"So what that reality came knocking on your door step? You can't be in a fantasy forever. Look at it this way" She began, turning to face me directly, her eyes clouded. "As corny as it sounds, life is what you make of it. You want to be happy, think positively no matter if you're experiencing the nine circles of hell or whatever. Think negatively, then be miserable. Final."  

"You sound experienced..." I observed. 

Her eyes darken, as a frown appearing on her face. "Yeah, well when the person you are destined for chooses your spoiled attractive older sister over you, you are not exactly happy. No where close, actually." She said, her voice cold but filled with emotion. Before I even breathed a word, she added, "And don't look at me with eyes full of pity, Jewels. I ain't haven that." 

I bit my lip, nodding in understanding. I wouldn't know what it would feel to be going through everything Rain was. "Okay, you're right." I said.

"So what is up with you and my brother?" 

How do I put it in words? I'm bad for your brother; I'm his natural enemy; I cant bear his heir; most of his pack disapproves of me; he'll age and die and I'll watch. 

"I can't be his mate." I concluded. And as I said it, I felt a pang of pain in my chest. My voice was a little shaky, filled with tension. 

"What do you mean?" 

"Isn't it obvious? I'm a blood sucking creature and hes a shape shifting servant of the moon. Together, we are destined for disaster." I started to play with my fingers, looking down at my lap. "I can't... I-" I took a deep breath. "I'm trying to protect myself here." I told Rain, looking up at her through my red locks. 

"Protect yourself from what? You are more than five hundred years old, with strength I can't even imagine. What is going to hurt you?"

"You don't understand!" I cried, leaping up to my feet, beginning to pace back and forth. "You seemed to forget who I am, what I am. I am immortal, Rain. I will never age. I.. I can't sit and watch my.... my mate" It was difficult getting the word 'mate' out of my lips. "age and fucking die. What will I fucking do after?" I ran both hands through my hair. "What if I get attached? Wait-" I shook my head. "Let me rephrase that. What if I get even more attached? Then-"

"Stop! Just stop!" I tensed as Rain grabbed my shoulders from behind. I felt something different with my emotions. I couldn't fucking control them right now. "There is something you are not telling me. This can't be the only reason why you are getting distant from Angelo."

I took a deep breath. "You're right." I looked straight ahead at the pale green wall. "I've.." I closed my eyes tightly. What the fuck is up with my goddamn emotions. I felt like crying. "I've come to a realization. Angelo deserves better." I whispered, my voice strained. I felt Rain's hands drop from my shoulders, but I continued. "He deserves a someone of his kind. Someone that understands him and what he is. Someone that can love him unconditionally until death, where they can both lie together, side by side. Someone... who can bear him children..." I felt my eyes water, angering me. "Someone who can make him feel like someone special. He deserves all that. And I can't give him any of that." 

"Jewels.." I turned around to see Rain looking at me wide eyed, and it bothered me. Her eyes were still clouded but slightly lighter than before. "You got it all wrong." She said, taking a step closer. I didn't like the way her eyes were watering. I can't deal with tears, even if they are my own. "What Angelo deserves is a mate. Everyone deserves a mate." My breath hitched, not knowing where this was going. "Mates define life to the other person. The feelings and emotions that come with the mate bond is out of this universe. Angelo doesn't need a werewolf girlfriend that can pop him babies. He needs true love, love that comes from a mate. His mateYou."

"What love? I can't love!" I yelled, throwing my hands up in the air. "Everyone I have ever loved are fucking gone, Rain! And the person I love with my entire existence is a little human girl who is oblivious to the supernatural world!" I knew Maya was upstairs with the damn pup, so it was safe to mention any thing non human. "I have to protect her. I have to love her because like myself, everyone she has ever loved have either died or cause fucking pain and mental damage!"

Rain raised her hands. "Jewels, calm down."

"I have to constantly be careful with her. Make sure she doesn't get harmed, by both strangers and myself. I'm stepping on needles when I'm around her." I ranted. I don't know what was happening. I couldn't fucking control my emotions. I've never verbally said this.

"Jewe-"

"Love has only brought me pain." I whispered, clutching my hair in my hands. Suddenly I felt pressure on my cheek and heard the sound of skin on skin. I gaped at Rain. She just slapped me!

Her eyes were wild. "Sorry for that but you were starting to worry me." I heard her heart pumping loudly, causing me to get a slight headache. 

I shook my head. "Don't apologize. I should be sorry." 

"Hey," I felt Rain's hands on my arms. I looked up at her. Her eyes were shining bright as she smiled. "I'm a bit pissed,"

I raised an eyebrow, confused. "Why?"

"You said you only love Maya. What about me?"

I threw my head back and laughed. "That's different. You're the only friend I've had in centuries, honestly. I admire you a lot. You stuck with me from the beginning. You are literally my best friend. My only friend. I have to love you." I joked near the end. 

She rolled her eyes playfully. "I'll make you fucking love me." She said before pushing me down to the floor and hitting me with my couch pillows. I laughed, trying to block her hits. "Do you love me?" I kept laughing. "What about now?" She stood on the couch and my eyes widen when I saw her jump in the air before feeling her weight come crashing down on me. She pouted, amusement filling her eyes. "Fucking love me, Mackenz!" She yelled before she started to tickle me. 

My eyes widen, before pushing her off me, throwing a pillow at her. She began to have a giggle fit. "Alright, alright. I love you... just never attempt to tickle me ever again."

"Aww! The big, bad vamp doesn't like to get tickled!" She playfully mocked. 

I narrowed my eyes "Now, I don't think the big, bad alpha's daughter wants a bruised eye, now would she?"

~

I sat on my bed with my phone in my hands. My finger was hovering over the phone icon next to Angelo's name in my contacts. I closed my eyes. I promised Rain I would call him. It was almost midnight. Would he even be awake? I bit my lip. Stop stalling and call him! What am I afraid of anyway? Before I knew it my finger touched the screen of my phone. It began to ring. 

Shit! Before I could even end the call, the phone was answered. "Hello?" 

My breath hitched at the sound of a feminine voice.

"Uh, Hello?" The voice questioned, starting to get annoyed. 

"Is Angelo there?" I bit out, my hands shaking.

"Yeah, hes showering." Showering? My eyes started to ache, feeling tears starting to form. 

"Uh.. ok.."

"Do you want to leave a message?"

"No. Uh..bye." I hang up, my breathing accelerating. The feeling of deja vu was consuming me. I've experienced this before. With Michael. I closed my eyes tightly. Maybe its like his cousin or some sort of relative. 

Or some pack whore

I shook my head. I trust Angelo. I shouldn't be doubting him. 

He deserves better, remember?

The pang in my chest from earlier hasn't disappeared, instead got worse. What the hell is happening to me? 

Vote, comment and follow!