Chapter Two - Pine cones and mint -

(Lilly Collins as Rain)

"Enough! This is bulls-" I was cut off by a ruler slapping onto my desk, narrowly missing my knuckles. This lady is pushing on the brim of my last ounce of patience. I was doing pretty well in class until the moronic idiot behind me started blowing down the back of my neck. He began whispering into my ears, trying to impress his friends, who sat at the back of the class snickering. Lame pickup lines and conceited compliments about himself left his mouth. I looked up at the withered old economics teacher who was leering down at me, her eyes hard.

"Miss Mackenz, is it? Well, I don't know what school you came from, but here we do not tolerate inappropriate language. Come to my room at the end of the day." With that, she walked back to her desk and continued with her lesson on the balance of payment. She's teaching how to record transactions. I grew bored and secretly hoped the moron behind wouldn't bother me again.

When the bell rang, I packed my stuff up and walked up to the teacher's desk. "Um, Mrs.-" I looked down at the teacher's nameplate, not knowing her name. I had been too busy fighting the urge to turn around and sink my fangs into that annoying idiot's throat than to learn her name. "Hern. I can't stay after school because I have to pick up my little sister, Maya, after school." Mrs. Hern smiled, not at all warm or inviting.

"Why can't another sibling do it or your parents?" This nosey bitch. I didn't want to tell her anything. People couldn't know that Maya was my foster kid, my daughter. That was Maya and I's number one rule. We can't risk Micheal finding us. That bastard roams this Earth still. And he's up for revenge, seeing the last time I saw him, I threw him around every wall, every inch of every floor of his trashy apartment before running away. Humans would think he was dead. But witches can only die by the hands of other witches.

"You see, our parents died a few years back and its been only us two since" I lied. By the look on the teacher's face, she believed every word.

"I understand. How about you take one of those textbooks there," Mrs. Hern gestured towards the large stack of books sitting on top of a shelf near the door. "and read chapter seven and eight. I want a three paged essay answering one of the section review questions by the end of the week." She told. I bit my lip. It was fair enough. I'll finish it tonight to get it over with.

"Okay. Thanks, Mrs. Hern." I said and started walking toward the door with my bag around my arm.

"Oh! And no more swearing!" She yelled as I exited the classroom with my textbook in hand. The hallways were crowded, as people began to head to lunch. I see Rain leaning against her locker, waiting for me.

"How was economics with Mrs. Hern?" She asked she started to open my locker and grabbed my things from my arms. She knew my locker combination, that little minx.

"Freaking amazing." I sarcastically replied as I looked around. The constant 'thuds' of heart beats filled my ears. Over the years, I've learned how to block out my heighten senses. I can see dust particles if I wanted to. But I don't want to spend the rest of eternity looking at accumulated dead human flesh.

"She loves me. I get away with so many things in her class." She smirks as she closes the locker.

"Like what?" I chuckled as she looped arms with me. Already most of the early crowd has dispersed into the cafeteria. Rain and I were going to go to the library. She hates the school food and I'd rather not be in a room full werewolves and humans. It's not like I'll lunge at them. My control is incredible.

"I've used my phone a couple of times in her class..." She had a thoughtful look on her face. "Oh! and one time she brought me cookies. Me! A full batch of chocolate chip cookies. They were so good!" I laughed as she began to ramble.

~

"Well, text me after school, Jewels. Bye!" Rain said as she smiled cheerfully and walked, well more liked bounced away happily. I entered my math class in a good mood, hoping nothing will ruin it.

"Hey, cutie."

I groaned. I spoke too soon. I turned around to a blond haired, brown eyed boy who probably made other girls melt, but made me want to rip his throat out. By the smirk on his face, I can already predict what he is going to say.

"I'm going to give you the chance to leave me alone before I snap your neck." I threatened as I glared at him. He was a werewolf.

When he didn't answer, I turned back around and before I took my seat, I heard the door open. A delicious new smell filled my nostrils. It enticed me so much that I was inhaling more and more of that irresistible scent. The smell of pine cones and mint made me slightly dizzy. I needed to know where that smell was coming from. When I turned to look at the door, it revealed two muscular built men. One was an older man, probably in his mid-forties and the other was a younger version of the older man. But before I could even take in his appearance, the guy was in front of me.

My breathing became heavier as my eyes met his, causing my heart to actually thud for the first time in almost four hundred years. His beautiful brown eyes deepened into a delicious black color and for some reason, I felt a slight change in my vision. Something consumed me. I wasn't myself at the moment. We both breathed out the same word, in the same hungry voice....

"Mate..."