Chapter One - First day -

(Kristina Pimenova as Maya)  

Because it was her first day at her new school, Maya woke up earlier than her alarm clock, hopping and dancing around her room as she put on the clothes we picked out yesterday. I leaned against her dresser, waiting until she's done to get started on her hair. She looked up at me, dread filling her eyes because she knew. 

"No, Momma!" She yelled, trying to run out her bedroom. Her hands were in her knotty blonde hair that looked like a bird's nest. What the hell does she do in her sleep?  "I'm going to school like this!" 

"Oh, no you're not." I took her in my arms, trying not to squeeze her too hard as she squirmed. I sat on her bed, hairbrush in hand. Knowing she was going to whine and possibly cry, I promised ice cream after school. 

"Yay! Ok, Momma go!" She closed her eyes tightly, putting her hands into tiny fists. She looked so adorable, I couldn't help but laugh. She opened her eyes and turned her head to look at me. "What?" I laughed even more. Blush pink kissed her cheeks as she smiled at me.

"Nothing baby. Come on, we still have to feed your little tummy." I cooed as I tickled her stomach. I loved making her laugh; it blocks out any other sound. 

After Maya ate her pancakes, I grabbed my car keys and a mug brimming with coffee and a few drops of deer blood. "Momma?" I turned to look at Maya. 

"Yes?"

"Are you scared?"

"Of what?" I scrunched up my eyebrows.

"School. Are you scared?" Of course not. I can kill everyone there. 

I took her hand in mine, leading us out the door and to the car. "No, baby. Big girls don't get scared."

"Like me!"

I laughed. "Yes, baby. Big girls like you don't get scared." She will never know how much I admired her strong persona. I wish I was like her when I was young: fearless. I shook my head. I used to be scared of everything.

I strapped her into her booster seat, she kept blabbing on about how she was going to make so many friends and that she would be the queen of the school. I snorted.

When we reached the school, her eyes glazed with happiness as she saw all the little kids running around and playing in the playground. The building was like any other elementary building. A whole lot of red bricks and a whole lot of annoying kids. This school includes grades K-12. The high school section, where I'm supposed to go, was at the other side of campus. I got out the car and opened her door to see that she was already out of her seat, bag in hand.

"Okay, buttercup." I played with Maya's silky blonde pigtails and kissed her on the forehead. "No misbehaving, please? Ms. Kelly is right there, okay? Go to her. I love you." She was already running to her teacher before I even mentioned Ms. Kelly. I sighed, getting back into my car and driving to the other side of campus, dreading interactions with people other than Maya. There were a lot of teenagers piled at the front of the school, waiting for the bell to ring. 

There's something about high school that always has me coming back. I've been to colleges all around the country, of course never staying long because I somehow always cause suspicion around humans and it's just not for me. Even though its appeal to me is that it's such an easy place to hunt; I've fed on many drunken college students at 4 a.m. behind dorm buildings. But other than that there was nothing else for me there. 

Being around teenagers is a different story for me, it's almost like watching a movie of what my life could have been. Even though 400 years ago "education" didn't come in the form of overcrowded brick buildings mostly teaching non-practical ideas and methods. It's the people. It comforts me being around people who are my human age. 

Parking my car under a shady tree, I got out and fixed my outfit. I was wearing a gray top that fitted my chest and flowed out, with black skinny jeans that had a couple of rips in them. My leather boots made my outfit look edgy. I thought I looked okay and appropriate for my 'first day of school'. 

I tried to ignore the whispers and stares, one of the many downsides of enrolling in a school more than halfway through the first semester, as I walked to the entrance. Out of nowhere, a girl stumbled into me from the side. Startled, I used my reflexes and caught the girl before her face hit the pavement. Werewolf. The scent hit me like waves. I stood her up straight to look at her. I come to see large light brown eyes stare into my gray ones.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bump into you." She panicked. I looked at her confused. She had hair darker than her eyes, falling down in waves over her tan shoulders.

"It's alright." I stepped back a little. "What's your name?"

"Rain," She said, a little more confidently but I could practically smell her fear. Did she think I would attack her? The thought made me want to roll my eyes. We stood there in silence for a few seconds before I decided to turn and walk away. "Wait!" I halted my steps. "Uh... if you want, I could show you around?" She was nervous. I turned and arched an eyebrow at her.

"You?"

She looked at everything else but me. "Uh, yeah. If you want. I mean if you don't want to, that's fine but-"

"Lead the way." I interrupted.

She gave me a small smile before nodding. She walked in front of me, pointing to different halls I needed to go through in order to go to specific classes. A tall attractive blond haired guy waved at Rain along the way, making her blush. But he suddenly inhaled and glared my way when he smelled that I was a vampire. I ignored him as I turned my attention to Rain.

"So who's that?" I chuckled, wiggling my eyebrows slightly. Her blush deepened. I felt so comfortable around her. Looking into her eyes earlier I knew she would never be a threat to me. And just with that knowledge, I hoped that the rest of the day runs just as smoothly. I don't need more enemies. 

"His name is Lucas."

"Oo la la." I joked. She chuckled.

"Come on. The office is this way."

We walked into the office and up to a desk where a rosy-faced, plump lady sat. I could hear her heart beating and blood pound so loud that I wanted to cover my ears.

"What may I help you young ladies with today?"

Rain looked at me and back at the lady. "This is...uh...what is your name?" She asked, feeling a bit embarrassed that she didn't know my name beforehand.

"Jewels MacKenz. I am new." I answered. I don't know what made me choose that name, but when I first thought about it, it had a nice ring to it. The woman nodded and looked through a couple of folders until she found the one that said my name, handed me my schedule that had my locker number on the top with the combination.

"Have a nice day, ladies." She said and with that, Rain and I left the office.

I had fifteen minutes to spare until I had my first-period class. And in those fifteen minutes, I actually made a friend. Rain was a little cautious at first but I reassured her by saying: "If I was going to hurt you, I would have already." And from there we talked about insignificant nothings. She would point out all the people she didn't like, as well as me interviewing her about Lucas. I couldn't believe it. Here I was ranting on about nothing with a girl, a werewolf. I haven't had a friend in centuries because I found it difficult to maintain relationships and friendships but she makes me feel comfortable. I'm also tired of always being so guarded. 

'Not everyone is out to get me,'  I remind myself.

"Well, we have every class together except economics and math. We also have lunch together and oh! Our lockers are close to each other!" Rain squealed. It didn't bother me. I found it entertaining. "Oh well I have economics now and you have Math." She frowned a little. "See you at lunch?" She questioned.

I smiled. "Sure."

This has been such a good start. But over the years I've learned that good beginnings always leave me with a bloody mess to clean up.