Chapter Thirty Six - Bewitched Part 3 -

Jewels' P.O.V.

Aelius was a tall, dark haired man. Attractive, yes, but you can see the age in his eyes; grey eyed, with rings of silver. They twinkled with a sharp gleam like that of a tiger staking her prey. His gaze was both of a wise professor and a bloodthirsty murderer. It had the power to dissect one bit by bit with the least bit of care - there wasn't a thing one could hide from his eyes. They held no warmth. He walked to the end of a long table, a tall brown rustic chair waiting for him like if it was his throne. He moved with a grace lined with perfection. 

"Get comfortable, Wino-"

"Jewels" I cut him off. I cleared my throat, walking to the other end of the table. I wanted to be far away from him. 

He sat, leaned back to just place his feet on the table. Smirking, he said: "Such an odd name. Tell me why you choose that." And just by those two lines, I knew the type of person he was: one that demands, doesn't asks; one that only cares about themselves, not others; one that will do anything to get what they want. 

"I don't think that's what you really care about right now." 

He placed his pale fingers on his chin. "No, please. I'm curious." For some reason, I didn't want to follow through with his demands, as stubborn as it was. I sat on a chair, mimicking his movements by placing my feet on the table causing his eyes to darken. "Fine. Lets talk about why you are really here." He placed his feet on the floor, leaning into the table. The playful mood he was in at first was gone now. "What is your answer to my proposal, Winona?" I rolled my eyes. "Do you want to join Ravnos?" Before I could speak, he continued. "Ravnos is an average size clan, less than one hundred vampires within a seventy five mile radius." Wow, someone knows their math. I hate how he is trying to buy me over. "We can offer you so many opportunities."

"Like what?" I asked, a bit annoyed as I rocked my feet side to side.

"Unity. Only a vampire knows the painful feeling of being alone emotionally for a long period of time. Here, we all go through it together. We all have each other. And over time, the emptiness goes away." I gulped, knowing exactly what he is talking about.

When I smelled the fresh air for the first time, after being buried in the ground for at least fifty years, I tasted the thirst. I spent the next decade on a rampage. I destroyed villages, biting the necks of everyone I saw. I had no one. I thought the emptiness I was feeling would go away because every time I tasted blood on my tongue, I forgot all my troubles. The hundreds of years that followed were spent with me meeting so many different people to then watch them die. It was an endless cycle: it is an endless cycle. 

"There are things you don't know about our kind. You don't know what you care capable of. You don't know your potential. We can offer you the knowledge you want to acquire and so much more. So what do you say Winona? Want to join Ravnos?"

See, he misunderstood me. I don't care about my kind. I don't care that I don't know or understand the demon inside me. I don't care. I never wanted to be like this. And to be honest, if it weren't for Maya and Angelo, I would have taken the deal. They don't know how I was before them. I was alone. I was living a useless life for eternity. So decades ago, I would have jumped at this opportunity to be a part of something. But things are different now. Maya and Angelo are my world. I would do anything for them. And because of them, I knew my answer without a doubt. 

"No. I'm sorry, but Ravnos isn't for me." I said politely, crossing my fingers in my lap. He stood up, a smirk kissing his lips, confusing me. 

"I knew that would be your answer. Tsk, tsk. I didn't want to do this." I arched an eyebrow, placing my feet on the floor, standing up too. 

"What?" He took what looked like a photograph from his back pocket. He bit his lip, as he forcefully pushed the photo, making it slide across the table until it was right in front of me. I gasped, my worst fears becoming reality. 

Maya was asleep in the arms of a familiar pink haired teen: Cassidy. Hate and enmity welled up in my heart, fury itself burning me up. I never really hated anyone before because I've never wanted to waste my energy and time for such emotions. But looking at Cassidy in the picture, the fury was clogging my vision. She had this sadistic smile on her lips with one palm resting on Maya's cheek. 

"Shes in good hands," Aelius said. I balled my fists. "for now." I could feel myself shake with the hate consuming me as my fangs started to extract from my gums. 

"Shes only in good hands with me. Where the fuck is she?!" I pushed back the chair with a force I didn't initially think of using, causing it to fall and snap. I wanted to run up to him, strangle him so hard that he couldn't see straight. I wanted to pull his dead heart out, smash his head against the corner of the table. No on touches my angel. 

"Somewhere" He walked over behind the throne like chair to retrieve an old looking paper with an empty container that held a feather. Before he came back, I looked around the room to see if there was anything that I could put to use. Nothing. "Black mail isn't really my favorite tactic but they are effective." Bullshit. What about that time that he took Lucas hostage? "But I think you know where this is going." He stated, now standing where he was before, laying the paper and container on the table. 

"Do you think I'm stupid?" I walked around the table, narrowing my eyes. "You want me to sign some stupid paper to join your clan and in return, I get Maya back?" I threw back a laugh. "I see making good first impressions isn't part of your list of favorites either." 

He clenched his jaw. "Ok. We have been tap dancing around for far too long. You-"

"I don't know how to tap dance." I cut him off, just to irritate him. "Where the fuck is she?!" I raised my voice, walking closer to him. 

"You'll get her back if you join!"

"For what?! Why the fuck do you want me in your clan so badly?!"

"Sign the paper, you get her back. Simple."

"And for how long, huh? If you can take her away from me now, imagine later. I'm not risking it. I don't want anything to do with you, or your goddamn clan."

"We can negotiate!"

"Negotiate my ass!" I liked my fangs. I could see the patience leave him in a flash. 

"We can make a deal, if that is what you desire. If you never want me or any other vampire to lay a single hair on Maya, you have my word. I can offer my protection, if you join the clan." I wanted to deny, but then he mentioned Angelo. "The clan can relocate. We won't bother the wolves, nor hurt them." I knew that since vamps were so close by their territory, Angelo and his dad were on edge. I sighed. What to do, what to do!

"Ok." I breathed out. A plan forming in my head. 

"Do I have your word also in the deal?"

"Yes. I promise." I lied through my teeth. I tried to act like if I didn't have any other choice. Faking sadness, I followed him as he took the paper and stuff and walked up to a stone podium near the table, where he placed everything. He told me I had to sign my name in blood, so he took out a pocket knife for me to use. I inhaled sharply. 

"And you promise?" It came out dead, half spoken, a hoarse whisper. "You promise to leave Maya alone? To leave Angelo's pack alone?" He smiled, nodding. I wouldn't even trust him even if I planned on signing this. I leaned down and grasped the knife, raised it, not even thinking as I slashed it down, spilling my blood from my palm. It was like a river. I quickly breathed, ignoring my impulse to snap his neck, and closed my fist over the small container. Then, with shaky hands that I pretended to have, I grabbed the quill and dipped it into my blood. Before I could pick it up to write, I heard a commotion outside of the door and stopped. My ears picked up, and I felt Aelius stiffen.

My nose perked up, and I smelled three familiar scents. But one stood out more than the rest: Pine cones and Mint. The one scent that makes my mouth water and and endless heat fill me, warming me. I breathed out one word quickly, almost an exhale of prayer. "Angelo"

He came. He really is here. Aelius cursed, obviously picking up their scents. Before he can take a step, or say a word, I lunged. In a matter of seconds, all thoughts left me. I am only focused on killing the stupid bastard in front of me. He was prepared though, as he took my arms and filmed them around, holding me caged. I felt my eyes darken. He wasn't very smart. I bit into his arm, fangs and all, tasting his nasty metallic blood. His yell of pain was heaven to my ears. I elbowed him, turned around once he loosened his hold around me, and kicked his balls. I then took his head and smashed it against my knee. Those moments were probably my highlights from the fight because after that, he somehow caged me. I felt something cold and sharp against my side, and then a burning unlike anything I have ever felt before. 

Maya. I was picturing her sweet smile, hear her soft laughter in my ears. I had to get Maya. I tried to push him, punch him, kick him, kill him in any way I could but my body become weak, I was limp in his arms. What was I going to do? Angelo, my subconscious whispered. I wanted to cry at the thought. Angelo.

Aelius shouted out quick instructions and men appeared from the shadows, swiftly heading for the door. I wanted to follow but Aelius' bony hands were restraining me. "You're not going anywhere, Winona. We still have out little agreement to settle. Cassidy!" He called out. And I saw a set of walls open, like a secret room. Seeing her in flesh brought up the anger I was feeling earlier but then I remembered how immobile I was. What the fuck did he inject me with? 

Maya came running behind Cassidy a few seconds later. She was all laughs, running up to Cassidy. "Tag, you're it!" She shouted before giggling but then she stopped when she saw me. "Juju!" My eyes brimmed with unshed tears. 

Aelius carried me to a near by chair, putting me down, causing Maya to run into my arms. It took a lot of my energy to raise my arms, but I managed. I checked Maya over, looking everywhere to make sure she was okay. "Ten fingers, ten toes Juju. I'm okay. Cassidy and I were having fun. We read, sang. But I don't know why they woke me up. I'm so tired, Juju. Can we go home?" She rubbed her eyes before burrowing her face into my shirt, yawning. I need to get us out of here. 

"Baby, go lay down on that chair." She mumbled an okay and did as told. She closed her eyes, and I knew that in a few minutes tops, she would be knocked out. Aelius brought the paper and quill over, demanding I signed. I knew Angelo and them would be here in any moment, I could sense them, so I took my time in grabbing the quill, faking pain. And it worked. 

The door flew open. There he was: brown shaggy hair, brown eyes, olive toned skin. Panting, his face was red with rage. I wanted to walk towards him, snuggle into his delicious scent. When he felt me staring, his eyes locked with mine. They softened. Having him so close by ignited strength in me. I looked behind him and saw a disheveled Rain and Lucas, who was holding her hand. I smiled, hope filling me.

I stood up on shaky legs, reaching over for Maya. 

"You are outnumbered. Everyone outside is dead. Just let them go." Angelo spoke, eyes on me and Maya the whole time. 

"You aren't leaving with Maya until Winona signs." 

"Let it go. I'm leaving with Maya." I said. I had Maya's sleeping figure in my arms, already walking towards Rain and Lucas. 

"You are not taking my daughter!" Aelius roared. I stopped, breathing halted. He was grinning. What did that mean?

"She is not your daughter, fucking idiot. You can't even have children." Angelo growled. Aelius just kept grinning, knowing something we didn't. It was bugging me with every passing second. I couldn't stand him.

"Mm, you are wrong. I can bear children." My mind raced, and I passed Maya over to Rain. I walked steadily to him, noticing Angelo following after me, his eyes on Aelius. He just laughed and clapped, beckoning me. "I see it right on your face! You on know what I am!"

Then, it hit me, disgust written on my face: Incubus "Yes, my dear. I am. I am over six thousand years old, and have birthed more than three hundred children. But there are two favorites." He gestured a hand towards Maya and smiled, baring teeth. "Her mother was delectable, you know. Shy little thing. Squirmed a lot. She fought though, fought hard." He cocked his head and laughed. "But obviously not hard enough." I stared down at Maya, then back up at him. She couldn't be. Not my Maya.

"You're a liar. I knew Maya's brother. He told me hi-"

"His parents what? Died? My dear, aren't I dead?" Shaking, I shook my head. It couldn't be. If he was Maya's father, then-

"Hey, baby. How have you been?" I stiffened at that voice. It couldn't be. It couldn't. I turned around, and looked past Angelo, past Lucas, Rain, and Maya. Standing at the door, his black hair in his eyes, stood the one being who I feared most in this world. More than the man who killed me years ago, more than the vampire who stood in front of me now, smirking. Because there, in all his glory, stood a person who was the epiphany of darkness. Who caused many of my nightmares. Standing there was Michael, Maya's older brother, and my living nightmare.