36. The Deal

By the time Skye and Sinless reached home, it was past midnight. The Dragons Edge was dark, and it seemed that everyone had gone to sleep. It stung her a bit that no one was staying up for her, or chased after her, but she knew her behavior of just skipping off was becoming a terrible habit now.
Her mind mostly drifted to Hiccup. She could imagine his disappointed face, his frowning eyebrows and pursed lips, as if biting back something rude. She just wanted to kiss the frown away and-

"Woah," Skye said, startling Sin. "Why am I still thinking like a stupid teen with a silly crush?"

The Skrill flipped upside down and then right side up quickly, making the woman yelp.

"What was that for?"

She could almost hear Sin saying, because you're an idiot, with the look she was giving.

They flew back, their hearts a little lighter. Skye stopped by at the clubhouse to grab a snack. She fed Sin a barrel of fish, and she quickly scarfed down a plate of Snotlout's special lamb stew. It was surprisingly tasty. She helped herself to another plate, and sat down at a table. Skye brought out her journal and charcoal.

"Alright," she crossed out the marked island named Heths, on a hand-drawn map. Many other crosses were struck upon island figures. "That makes six."

A couple of islands were circled. She tapped her pencil against the one that was farthest. "This isn't looking too good, Sin. Every time I think we can escape the Shriuken, they attack my connections."

Sin looked up shortly before returning to her barrel. Skye spooned a bit of food into her mouth, and then took a fresh page. She chewed her lip, her eyes upwards as she tried to think of what had happened the past couple of hours. Thiram had given her quite a bit of information.
A slight bout of relief passed, knowing he wouldn't be the head of the Shruiken army any more.
So Hun had escaped from Thiram, and probably was the same person who had set up the stall in the Northern Markets. If it wasn't him, then Skye was really good at jumping to conclusions, and somehow those conclusions turned out to be right. But she hadn't explored what was hidden behind the stall wall.
And what had Thiram said? Something about the Hand of Light? Some sort of weapon to reunite the Skrills.

"Well, I have to admit, you look adorable when you're thinking," Hiccup said.

Skye flinched and on reflex, threw her plate towards him. He ducked just as the plate flew out of the clubhouse entrance. They both stared in shock at each other until they heard the plate crash, and then a disgruntled yell followed:

"Hey! Who's the dimwit throwing about my special lamb stew?!"

Skye winced. "Sorry, Snotlout!" Her gaze shifted, and she let out a small chuckle. "Don't surprise me. Have you been watching for me the whole night?"

"Yeah," Hiccup said, his shoulders moving in the cute way she loved, his lips forming a small smile. "I remember what happened the first time we met."

"You mean when I nearly sliced you in half?"

"With you, that's like a regular weekday." His eyes drifted to her book, which she turned to, and tried to shut. His hand shot out and held it back. "What's this?"

The woman sighed. "I don't want to get you involved."

Hiccup sat next to her, holding her hand. It sent tingles down her spine. "Skye, no matter what you do, you are always a part of our lives. And we are a part of yours."

"But-"

He stroked her palm with her thumb, drawing slow circles on it. "Whether you like it or not, we are involved in this with you. And I think the only way you can finally be happy is if you let us carry some of the weight that has been bearing you down. That's what friends are for."