25. A Message

"Okay, guys. Our first plan of action is to figure out where Viggo is." Hiccup stated as he spread a large map of the archipelago on the table.

Astrid sighed. "And that also happens to be our first problem."

Tuffnut raised an eyebrow. "You guys are so complicated."

"Why can't we just find someone who knows where Viggo lives?" Ruff asked bluntly.

"You mean someone who actually has been there?" Someone piped in, a very familiar voice with the hint of sleekness and confidence. They all turned to the voice, slowly beaming when they saw the silver armor-clad woman leaning against the door frame. "I guess I'm your girl." 

Fishlegs let out a small squeal. "Heather!" He ran to her, pulling her into a hug. "I see you got my Air Mail!"

She grinned. "Yes, I did. Thank you for messaging me."

Snotlout snorted, strutting over and sending her a pitying look. "Babe, I'm so sorry. But I'm over you now. I found someone who loves me for who I am." He slung an arm over Ruffnut's shoulder.

Ruffnut's nose crinkled and she twisted his arm off her, punching him in the face soon after. He stumbled backwards with a groan. 

Heather took it in stride, walking next to Hiccup, bracing her hands on the table. When Hiccup smiled at her gratefully, she couldn't help but admire him. He was always so kind and trustworthy. She cleared her throat. "Listen, I managed to give Viggo the slip for now, but I'll have to return to his base in an hour. Fishlegs had written something about rescuing a friend?"

A shadow seemed to fall over Hiccup's face when he nodded. "Her name is Skye. We think she's been captured by Viggo because we found his arrows at her home. It looked like she had been attacked."

Heather raised an eyebrow. "Skye, huh? A new girl."

"She's quite something," Hiccup murmured, eyes pinned to a spot on the table while his lips curved upwards on its own. Just thinking about Skye would make his heart warm. 

Tuffnut gagged. "He's doing the lovesick puppy smile again."

"You know," Heather interrupted before Hiccup could chortle. "I think I remember something the guard were saying. They brought in a girl, unharmed for now. "

Astrid sighed. "Heather, let's take a walk. I'll tell you about her while the others settle in for now."

After getting the OK from Hiccup, the two women walked out, speaking in soft tones.

***

"So Hiccup loves her?" Heather asked gently.

Astrid nodded. "It's not unrequited either. He's just terrified to say it out loud. Skye does the same, but that's probably because she doesn't want attachments, not until she clears up her problems in her past."

"What do you mean?"

"Honestly," Astrid sighed. "I'm not sure. Skye's situation is complicated and she's always looking over her shoulder."

"That's horrible," Heather murmured. She knew what it was like to be on alert and afraid. "So, I thought you and Hiccup would make it work. What happened to that?"

She shrugged. "We were too different. So we both moved on quite easily. He found Skye, somewhat. And I found, uh-"

"Come on. Spit it out."

"Eret. He saved Stormfly, and he's just so-" she sighed dreamily, making Heather's face scrunch up. She never pinned Astrid as the lovesick kind, but then again, a girl does feel that way every once in a while. 

"Yeah, I got it. But it seems like I have to go. Viggo will be expecting me soon, and I'll have to search the prison cells for Skye. Just don't come yet. I'll report back tomorrow, okay? Give everyone my love," Heather said with a fond smile.

Astrid returned it. "Of course. I'll see you tomorrow."

With that, Heather mounted her dragon and flew away.

From his cabin, Hiccup was pacing. He had heard of Viggo, but had never really been up against him personally. Every time he thought about Skye, he was worried for her but he was also confident that she would be okay. After all, she took care of herself when she was younger and had killed-