37. The Hand of Light

They left for the Northern Markets, the trip being eerily silent. The riders were keeping an eye on Skye and Hiccup, who were side by side, quiet as well.

"Is it just me, or are they less lovey than usually?" Tuffnut asked his sister, who just shrugged in response. She was more interested in picking at the scab on her knuckle she had gotten from the Nutt Barrel Contest. No one except the twins knew what that meant.

"Alright," Snotlout cut through the silence. "Which stall was it?"

Skye directed them to the hidden stall, which was fortunately still present. But this time, there was a man behind it.

"Do you recognize the vendor?" Astrid asked.

Skye shook her head. "I've never seen him before. But he could be a decoy."

The vendor seemed to feel gazes on him, for he looked up and made contact with the riders.

"Duck!" Tuffnut shrieked as he yanked down his sister behind a crate.

The other riders were startled, but only just stood there. Astrid rolled her eyes. "Get up, you knuckleheads."

"Skye, are you ready?" Hiccup asked, his hand softly snaking around hers.

She glanced at the contact, and then nodded. Skye strode forward, the others on her heel as she approached the vendor.

The vendor smiled. He seemed to not recognize her, and she didn't know whether that was a good or bad thing. "Welcome! What can I help you look for today?"

Skye pursed her lips. "We're looking for a certain weapon."

Tuffnut scrunched his nose. "Well, that isn't much to go on."

"Tuff!"

"What?!" He asked hysterically. "Even we don't know what the Hand of Light looks like!"

Hiccup groaned as the others screamed at Tuff. Skye turned to the vendor, whose hand was reaching for below the table inconspicuously.

"Tuff, you blew the whole operation!"

In a split second, Skye pulled out Striker and lit it, pointing it at the vendor's neck. The man froze. "Don't. Move," she spat.

"Woah, what did we miss?" Ruffnut asked.

The vendor was visibly shaken. "Alright, don't kill me. I was just reaching for my flute."

Hiccup frowned. "Why do you need your flute?"

The vendor glanced at the tip of the blade just at his neck. Skye didn't budge until Hiccup had to physically draw her away. The man breathed better.
"It's a call."

Snotlout growled. "Listen, man. You gotta be a little more specific, or we will released the rage monster on you-" he said, pointing to Skye, who was still glaring. "-happily."

The vendor gulped. "Hun stationed me here. If anyone were to ask about the Hand of Light, I was supposed to warn him."

Astrid narrowed her eyes. "How do we know it's not a trap?"

The vendor shook his head. "I can't do anything to get you to trust me. But if I play the flute, Hun will come for me."

"Play the flute," Skye ordered.

"Wait," Hiccup interrupted. "We need to think this through."

"I have," she replied. "Play the flute."

The vendor nodded. He pulled out his flute and played a shrill tone.

Tuffnut scowled. "Wow, even I'm not that tone-deaf!"