16) HTTYD 2: Part 3

Chaos.

That's the word that can describe the view of the battle that Skye had. With dead dragons and dead warriors, blood spilling across the white ice, it looked like a bloodbath. And still, Skye forced away the flashes of regret and trauma every time she let loose an arrow, commanding her dragon to dodge incoming attacks and picking apart dragon cages to free the trapped dragons.

Astrid had hitched a ride on Stormfly, Eret manning the dragon, his control a bit wonky, but Skye wasn't one to judge. She could never get the hang of controlling Sin's movements. She just trusted her dragon to keep them safe. So when a falling block of ice cracked from the dome and hurtled upon Stormfly, Skye knew Sinless wasn't going to help them. 

Before she could call out, before they could move, the ice was blown to bits by a purple blast, a familiar sight that quelled the fear seizing her heart. Through the blast, not only did Toothless emerge, but two dragons beside him, each with a rider. Stoick and Gobber cheering as they swooped down to attack the enemy soldiers.

A sharp whine made her duck on instinct, something flying over her head, a metal arrow narrowly missing her. She growled, spotting the huddled soldier before she slipped on her own arrow and aimed for the dragon cage beside him. The arrow sliced through the air and knocked against the lock, breaking it, and then the large Deadly Nadder was screeching upwards and attacking the screaming soldier.

She turned to see Hiccup and Toothless zooming down at an incredible speed, only a black blur as they blasted a few traps and freed dragons, before looking up and grinning at Skye, a competitive glint in his eyes. 

Skye huffed to herself, scowling as he snickered and joined up with Astrid. "Show off," she mumbled and nudged Sin to join them. When she was next to the Nightfury, Hiccup was reaching over and pushing her mask up, hand brushing her cheek. Skye felt warmth, eyes averting. "Where have you been?"

A finger tilted her chin up, meeting green adoring eyes.

Hiccup's lips quirked up.  "You know, catching up with mom."

What in the ever-loving hell was that supposed to mean? 

She followed his line of sight, her mouth dropping when she caught sight of that.

That being a four-winged orange dragon, eyes as owlish as the bird itself, and curving talons. The figure on top of the dragon was slim, armored, majestic, a staff held up, and if that didn't take  the cake, the beast of a dragon rising from the huge ice caverns, breaking through with its grey horns and a deafening roar, white as snow and spiky, did the trick.

Skye snapped back to Hiccup, who had been staring at her, a fond smile on his face. "You're telling me that's your mother? When are you gonna stop springing these surprises on me?"

Something flashed in Hiccup's eyes, and he murmured, "just one more." Then, he gripped her hand and pressed a soft kiss to her palm, eyes looking up at her through his lashes.

Her eyes grew wide and she flushed darkly. If he sprung those kinds of surprises all the time, she wouldn't mind one bit. "Uh-"

Hiccup's face turned red as if he had just realized what he had done, and then he was flipping his mask on and fleeing.

Coward.

Skye drew her focus on the battle. With the two bewilderbeests battling it out on the waters, and the number of soldiers and cannons and trained dragons doing Drago's bidding, it was clear they were outgunned, and outmatched.

Time to level the playing field.

Sin flew up on Skye's command. Skye's gaze was trained to the skies where thick, dark clouds were clustered. The higher they got, the more Skye could see the movement, quick and silent but impatient. There was a flash of two glowing red orbs before it disappeared.