19. She's Gone...

Skye felt her blood thrum in her veins. The call to fight returned, her hand straying to her sheathed daggers, resting there as she waited silently. Either that thing would come out and face her, or they would stay there forever because she wasn't going to budge an inch. Well, maybe she would sit down because her stitched side was throbbing painfully.

The bushes rustled and a head popped out, light hair messy and cut short. His grey eyes fixated on her and she snapped to attention, pointing her dagger. "Come out, hands away from any weapons, or I'll hurt you."

He slowly stepped out, a muscular fellow, an ax strapped to his broad back. Skye's gaze drifted to the round crest on his belt, a bird and fire tangled in silver. "Easy there," he rumbled, eyeing her warily. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"That's the least of my concerns," Skye replied, still beckoning to the ax. "Lay it on the ground. Slowly."

He did so, and then his eyes flickered up to her. He stood up, his body radiating nervousness. 

"What are you doing in Berk?"

"Please to meet you, too."

Skye groaned internally. Another smart ass she had to deal with. She pocketed her dagger, sending him a glare that read 'one wrong move and you're a dead man.'  "Who are you?"

"Huntre, from the western isles," he said cheekily, bowing. 

"Answer my other question."

Huntre nodded, eyes still crinkled at the corners as if he was talking to an old friend. Strange fellow indeed. "I was sailing around this area when I spotted a few dragons. I was too distracted to see the rocks and I crashed. My boat is gone, and supplies as well. I'm from Gerfa," he said meekly, with a smile that showed off his perfect teeth.

Gerfa. That sounded familiar, like an itch she couldn't scratch out. Damn her shitty memory. Skye took up his ax and nudged him to walk, ignoring the sharp spike of pain that had her reeling slightly. "I'm taking you to the Chief. It's up to him about your fate."

"Fair enough."

They began treading along the forest floor, only a few birds chirping, the echo of dragons' roars bouncing around. Other than that, Huntre was a perfect prisoner. Skye narrowed her eyes at his back, trying to force out the pain each step caused her. It was like being stretched apart at the seams. "Do you hunt dragons?"

"Not really. I just study stuff." He paused, turning around with glinting eyes. "Call me crazy, but I could've sworn I had spotted a Skrill."

"You're right, that does sound crazy." Hiccup would love this guy. Avid dragon researcher, perky personality. Skye's foot caught on a upturned root and she stumbled, hissing at the stretch of her waist, clutching at the stitches. 

"You doing okay?" Huntre asked in concern.

Skye leveled her steely gaze at him, bent over in pain. "Eyes forward, keep marching." Sweat dripped down her forehead. Her next step hurt excruciatingly and she snapped out, "stop! Wait, just-" Skye leaned against a tree, panting. 

Huntre froze, watching as she put two fingers in her mouth and whistled loudly. "Hey, what are you doing?"

"Just don't freak out," she mumbled, gritting her teeth as she shifted. Whatever made her walk so far into the forest with her injury? "Berk's famous for riding dragons."

"Oh, oh, Odin, really?"

"Which is why you can't freak out now."

Huntre's expression turned to confusion, until something large swooped above them, circling until it landed. Sinless whined happily and trotted to Skye, nudging her gently. Scratching her chin, Skye grinned at a shocked Huntre.