39. A Clue And A Fear

Fishlegs approached Hiccup, his short legs working fast to catch up with the strutting Chief.
"Hiccup!" He shouted.

Hiccup stopped and turned around, absently pushing away a villager who was flocking to him. "What's happening?"

Fishlegs stopped before him, a book in hand and breathless. He held up a finger for Hiccup as he sucked in breaths to calm himself. "I.. found... something!"

"What is it?" He asked impatiently.

Fishlegs held out the book in his hand. Hiccup's face dropped at the title— The Skeillka. A rush of memories passed through his mind, and the sinking feeling erupted in his chest. It was only last night that Hiccup had wished for her to come home. He felt like he had lost all his dignity in moments like that. So helpless. So needy. He just longed for Skye's safety again.

"What did you find, Fishlegs?" Hiccup asked again.

Fishlegs nodded. "I managed to translate a part of this text. It said that an Alpha Skrill can shoot up to twenty blasts before needing to recharge!"

Hiccup frowned. "That's a great discovery, 'Legs. But I-" he hesitated. He realized that if Fishlegs had told him this fact a month ago, Hiccup would've been jumping in excitement. Now, he felt like it was a waste. "I expected more."

Fishlegs' expression deadpanned. "Do you think I would've run here if I found out only that?"

"Yes."

He squealed. "You're right, I would've. But I did stumble upon something more. The Hand of Light is mentioned. Several times, in fact."

"What did it say?" Hiccup was a little curious now.

"'When the Hand of Light and the Alpha are bound, the screams of the dead shall sound.
When flesh touches lightning,
beware the wrath of the pack to come.'" Fishlegs' voice took a dark tone. "I had to take a deep breath after I had translated that. It's so spooky."

His hand scratched his chin. It was a puzzle, not a prophesy. A way to use the weapon. But it made no sense. "'When the Hand of Light and Alpha are bound,'" Hiccup murmured. "When the weapon and Sin are bound. It probably means when they're used together."

"I assumed that, too," the other man said. "But the next part just doesn't make sense. Flesh and lightning? Those just don't go together, do they?"

Those words sparked a memory when Hiccup, as a boy, had tried to convince the villagers that dragons weren't to blame when a storm of lightning attacked the village. It was rather, the metal beams they had constructed. He remember being electrocuted in his mission. It also drew him to the time a few years back, when he had just met Skye. He had touched Sin's scales when she had conducted lightning. He got electrocuted then, too. His eyes grew wide. "She could touch Sinless."

Fishlegs furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you okay?"

Hiccup's eyes met his, and they were filled with understanding. "I get what it means!"

"You do?"

"Skye can touch Sinless! It makes so much sense now!"

Fishlegs backed away when Hiccup started laughing. Hiccup seemed to have lost his mind. "Could you explain?"

Hiccup nodded frantically. "See, the part where flesh touches lightning? It doesn't mean actually touch lightning! It means touching Sin's back!"

"Are you getting a fever?"

"When I had first met Skye, there was a lightning storm. She had Sinless conduct lightning, and I could see the energy roll under her scales."

"Like normal Skrills do to conduct it," Fishlegs interrupted.