35. We Are Not Shruiken

Hiccup, what are you holding?" Snotlout asked as he barged in the room.

Hiccup enclosed the item in his palm. "I-it's nothing. What do you need, Snotlout?"

The boy snorted. "If it's nothing, then give it to me. Hookfang and I are making a bust, and we need all the scrap metal we can get."

"This isn't scrap metal!"

"Give it!"

"Snotlout! Stop it! It's mine!" Hiccup shrieked as the other man grabbed it, inspecting it carefully.

"What is this junk?" He asked, turning the gold embedded medallion between his fingers.

Hiccup growled, and snatched it away. "This junk, as you call it, is my betrothal gift to Skye. My tribe's crest on the medallion would be a perfect way to welcome Skye into the Haddock tribe."

Snotlout looked at him skeptically. "Shouldn't you make this gift after you're courting? Besides, you know what would make a better gift? A decorative battering ram!"

Hiccup scratched his head. "Well, yes. But-but I thought, you know-"

"You thought Skye might be able to stay if you gave her a reason to, am I right?"

"Yes, and also because I love her." Hiccup admitted.

Snotlout gaped, and then grabbed Fishlegs who was walking in. "Tell me you heard that!"

Fishlegs looked at him with a frown. "What are you talking about?"

"Hiccup just admitted his love for Skye!"

With that, Fishlegs let out a squeal, too, and Hiccup groaned, pocketing the medallion. He was about to walk out when Snotlout pulled him back in. "Woah there, lover boy! We are not done with you yet!"

Hiccup let out another groan. "Let me go, man. What more do you need?"

"We might need to improve the gift."

"What's wrong with the gift?"

Snotlout sighed. "Hiccup, that's just a plain useless medallion. A bludgeon with her initials would be more suitable!"

Hiccup scowled. "Why, thank you. Not like I worked hard on it or-"

"I'm not done!" He snapped. "Wouldn't it be better if it were more in the shape of convenience?"

Hiccup nearly dropped the coin. Snotlout picked it up and inspected it. "You know what this needs?"

"To be out of your grubby hands?"

"It needs a chain," he declared. "Then at least Skye can wear the stupid thing. Otherwise it's just an anchor for a very tiny boat."

"He does have a point," Fishlegs added.

Hiccup frowned in thought. "I do suppose this needs a bit more of working on."

Snotlout brushed his fingernails proudly. "Well, I do know how to get around with the ladies."

"Is that why you're still single?"

Fishlegs huffed. "The reason I came here is because I got an air-mail from Johann. It's serious."

Hiccup started. "All the mail says is that he needs immediate help."

"And all you do is help him, huh?" Snotlout fired skeptically.

"What do you mean?"

"The last time we got mail from him," Snotlout raised an eyebrow. "We almost got eaten by an island of very hungry, very angry wild dragons."